0.0

6 years ago

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

"Who is she?" The older woman turned the key into the lock and opened the door, gesturing for me to walk inside.

"The Stilinski girl," Brunski answered, giving me a light shove towards the door.

Once we were inside, he pushed me onto a chair and took a place standing guard at the door, as if I would attempt to escape.

The woman unlocked a hidden cupboard in the wall and pulled out a blanket, pillow and some folded sheets. "I'm sorry about the dust," She hit the bed vigorously to get rid of it. "This place is full of it."

"Why are you apologizing to her? She should be happy with whatever she can get." Brunski looked around the room.

"This is hardly the life an eleven year-old deserves," The woman shot him a look.

A younger woman wearing the same uniform approached the door and gave me a look before addressing Brunski, "What is she in for?"

"Her mom died a while ago," Brunski laughed. "The kid and her twin brother were there when it happened. For a while now she's been going on about how her mom needs help and how she's still here. The father got fed up, obviously. Said it was enough. If it was my kid I would've brought her here a long time ago."

I wanted to move. I wanted to tell him off, but I couldn't find the will, nor the words.

Fortunately, for my sanity, or what was left of it, he left the room to talk to the other woman, closing the door behind him.

Unfortunately, I could still hear his obnoxious laughter.

"My name is Melanie," The older woman said while dropping the pillow into the pillowcase. Once that was done, she moved to put the sheets on the bed. "I'll be bringing you your meals every day." While she stood at the head of the bed and pulled the sheets, I stood up and went to the foot of the bed before pulling the other end of the sheet over the edge of the mattress. "I can also sneak in some extra pudding during dinner and a book or two so you don't get so bored," She smiled up at me as I failed at attempting to return it.

"Thank you," I don't think I was thanking her for the pudding or the books, but rather for the first civilized conversation I'd been a part of in quite a while.

"Maybe we could get you some colourful sheets, too."

"How long am I going to be here?"

"I don't know, honestly. But it wouldn't hurt to brighten up the room."

"Are you done?" The door slammed open just as we'd finished making the bed. "Time to go," Brunski said.

Melanie went back to lock the cupboard before smiling at me and walking out.

"Look at the bright side, kid," Brunski said. "At least you have a room to yourself," He gestured to the bed opposite me.

I opened my mouth to say something, but before I knew it, he'd already slammed the door shut; allowing it to lock itself, and it was too late to question him about the teenage boy who'd seemed to already make himself at home, sitting cross-legged on the unmade bed across from mine.

  ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊