New Years Kiss

chloe1ovatt
I set my suitcase on the snowy pavement, hesitating slightly. My breath hung in the air like a visitor who was only visible when it wanted to be, and my fingers were numb from the chilly late afternoon air. My hand was raised slightly, paused right in front of the sign on the door. '35 Portland Row' I read silently in my head. My home.
I had left a little over a year ago, and had abstained from working cases with groups so no one else was hurt. I worked alone, living in a little flat above a shop far away from Portland Row. I only decided to come back when I saw they needed another operative. It took what felt like forever to gain the courage to come back.
I took a shallow breath, and knocked on the door.
"I'll get it, George," a voice from inside sang. Lockwood. I bit back tears as the door knob turned and opened.
"Lucy.." Lockwood stared at me, trying to take in the information he knew was coming.
"I came back," I say, tears falling from my face.
Lockwood rushes towards me, bringing me into a tight hug, tears streaming down our faces.
"I thought you'd never come back," he says, "I thought you'd left for good."
"Well, here I am."
"What is taking so long, Lockwood, it's just the- LUCY!" George rushes out into the snow to join into the hug.
"Wait, you missed me too?" I sniffled.
"Well, yeah."
"Why don't we go inside, it's cold out here." Lockwood says.
I grab my suitcase and walk in the house slowly, savoring every moment.
"So why New Year's Eve, Luce?" Lockwood asks.
"I wanted to come back for the new year."
He nods silently.
"So, what happened while I was gone?"
"Well, Holly left. Family stuff. Never really figured out what type. We solved a few cases, just George and me. New assistants came and went, they never stayed for long. What happened to you?"
Before I could answer, George yelled that it was time for dinner.
After dinner, I put all my stuff away in my room. The air was musty, and there was dust everywhere, so I assumed it hadn't been opened since after the last assistant left. I then went downstairs to talk to Lockwood, trying to catch up and see how everything was.
"So, what happened to you?"
"Well, I kind of floated around at smaller agencies, but they didn't want me. So I started solving cases by myself. I got a flat, quite far from here. I never solved anything big, really. Just Type One's and the occasional Type Two."
"It's almost midnight. Want to go outside and watch the fireworks?" Lockwood asks.
"Sure."
We go outside and listen as people count down to the new year. I feel Lockwood slip his arm around my waist, and as the clock stokes midnight, he kisses me.
"I love you, Lucy."
"I love you too."
We hug, and I hear George yell at us.
"Oi, lovebirds, want some cake?"