Duncan X Character

"Miss Lacey, may I see you after class?" Miss Wakowski asked, moments before the bell rang. Lacey's palms dampened, and she hurriedly wiped them off her jeans. She was frightened alright, frightened beyond fixing. She was certain she bombed the Geometry quiz. If only she'd studied a LITTLE harder last night, she would have positively aced it. It was the last grade of the semester, before report cards rolled their ugly mugs in. Sweat crept along her forehead as she began to imagine NOT walking down the gym floor to receive her A Honor Roll award. along with her regular achievements, like Perfect Attendance, Citizenship, Golden Apple, and Singing Star. She was a natural born killer, alright, in every possible class, outstandingly smarter than all of the junior year.

The bell rang, and Lacey shakily stood up. She slung her knapsack over her shoulder, then stumbled toward Wakowski's desk.

Teach beamed. "Congratulations, Lacey. You've made Student Council."

Lacey closed her eyes, her brain popping. Student COUNCIL?

She shrieked, then began jumping up and down. Governing the students, turning Westminster Night School into the epitome of greatness, and becoming the official..Queen Bee? All could happen if she became President. She felt as if she were levitating.

The grin slipped off of Wakowski's face almost as easily as it appeared. "But..there's a catch."

Lacey rolled her eyes. "That, I can handle. Throw it at me, Miss W. I can do anything."

Teach raised her eyebrows, the smile returning. "I am so glad you're so enthusiastic about this! So you have met Duncan Ward?"

Lacey's heart slipped into her gut. Duncan Ward? He was the baddest bad boy in school. The jerkiest juvenile in town. He crushed dreams and raised nightmares. The kind of boy who'd fry ants with a magnifying glass, then laugh at their squeamish expense. 

Perhaps her pride had bit her in the ass.

"I..I do, yes."

"Excellent! You see, he has real potential. Yes, he has a shady past..but anyone can change, really. He's a smart boy."

Lacey wondered if Miss W really understood the word "potential". 

"You see, he's in need of a tutor. Just to get him back on his feet. He returned from Brewington just last week, and needs to catch up. You are just so smart, Lacey. You'd be the perfect candidate. Won't you help him?"

Lacey's lips formed the words no, but then she held back. Student Council...

She could handle the brat. No problem.

"I can handle the brat just fine, Miss W. When's our first lesson?"

She checked her watch. "Right now, actually."

****

Lacey met him in the library. One look into his dangerous eyes and she knew she was in for a world of hurt.

"What are you in for, Square? Bribed to put up with me? Promised another trophy to add to your countless collection?"

Lacey opened her mouth, but no words came out. She decided it best not to argue.

"I'm here to help you, Duncan. That's all. Once I'm done, you'll never have to put up with me again. Deal?" she said, holding out her hand.

He stared down at it, rolled his eyes, then leaned back in his chair.

"Let's get this over with."

*****

He really WAS a bright student, Lacey decided. They were halfway through the textbook, until his phone buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocket, then grinned.