Goodbye, Friend | Phan

“Phh...PHIL!”

“Shhh. I’m right here.” I play with Dan’s curly brown hair, trying to calm him down. He curls up into a ball, crying silently into his knees and ignoring my touch. “It was just a dream. I’m right here.” He finally lays back down, sprawling out on the covers. Tears are still rolling down his face, and I can tell that he isn’t going to get up any time soon.

I walk to the kitchen and start making a cup of hot chocolate. Dan once told me that my cocoa could cure anyone’s sadness. When it’s finished, I let it cool and write quickly on a post-it note that I stick to the cup. I then pick it up from the counter and return to Dan’s bedside. His phone is ringing, but he doesn’t care. At least he’s stopped crying.

I set the cup down on the table next to his phone, sitting back down on the edge of his bed. He removes the note I taped to the side and starts crying again as he reads it. I take the note from him and kiss his forehead softly. I kiss his forehead softly and walk out of the room, rereading my writing.

‘Dan,

I know it was unexpected, but there was nothing you could have done to help me. The car came out of nowhere. Please, Dan. I made you some hot chocolate to calm you down, and I promise I will every day for as long as you need me to. I’m sorry you can’t see me anymore, but I’m still here. I’ll always be here. Best friends forever, remember?

Love you,

Phil.’