i . hit

Waking up to the sound of birds' early chirping, a young woman lay on her bed, refusing to leave the warm and soft paradise. Eventually, she sat up on her bed and started to stretch her tired limbs, letting out a loud yawn before the tiredness started to slowly disappear. Only then she noticed that something―rather someone―was missing, seeing the empty space next to her. Finally, she got up from her bed, put on her fluffy slippers and left her bedroom, hitting her arm at the door frame in the process. She let out a hiss, but shook it off before entering the living-room of her apartment. As expected, she found the missing person there, sitting on the sofa and almost aggressively hitting the keys of his laptop. "Are you seriously studying at six in the morning on a Saturday?" the woman remarked sarcastically, putting emphasis on the weekday before letting out another yawn.

The other person seemed a bit startled. Too busy focusing on the screen of his laptop, he had not noticed someone sneaking up to him―not that she had snuck it, he just had not noticed. He turned away from the bright computer screen and faced his girlfriend. "(first name)." He had to smile warmly at the sight of her. "Good morning to you, too," he finished before turning to his laptop again.

"Have you had coffee yet?" (first name) asked, shouting from the kitchen. However, there was no response. "Touya! I am talking to you!" she yelled, returning to the living-room to see her boyfriend ignoring her and concentrating on his studies once again. It was six in the morning and he had already been immersed in his work, when the hell had he woken up?

Sighing loudly, she finally gained the attention of the other. "Sorry, sorry," he apologized and stood up from the sofa. He removed his reading glasses and placed them on the coffee table in front of him before rubbing his eyes from the bright light of his laptop screen which he had been looking at for at least two hours. "Are you not going back to bed?" Touya asked as he moved closer to (first name). "Well, I think it's good to get up that early for once. The more I can do today," she answered and felt proud of her own words. Suddenly, she felt a cool hand on her forehead which belonged to Touya. "What are you doing?" she asked him. "I thought you might have a fever. Such words don't suit you at all," he sneered. "Very funny," she mocked back. "I know I'm lazy, but you're seeing this with your own eyes, right? Who usually sleeps in until eleven, but is now awake at six? Exactly, that's me! Now get your ass into the kitchen if you want breakfast. I feel like being generous today," she explained and put her tongue out at Touya. She brushed off his hand from her forehead and went back to the kitchen.

She did not come very far when she felt a strong hand around her wrist. Turning back, she saw Touya pouting. "What?" she inquired. "Where's my good morning kiss?" he asked innocently. "You're not getting one. You've been making fun of me since I woke up. And that was like five minutes ago! Now let go or you won't get any breakfast either!" (first name) threatened and tried to give Touya the most intimidating look she could. However, she only managed to make him laugh. Taken by surprise, she was pulled into a warm hug. "Unacceptable," he whispered before pressing a chaste kiss on her nose. Giving in, (first name) wrapped her arms around Touya's neck, pulling him closer and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. He hummed happily in response, but then she told him, "You're not getting any breakfast, though," giving him an amused smile.

"W-what?"

***

It was ten in the morning, a few hours had passed and Touya―how could it be any different―was back to working on his project for university. (first name) lazily lounged on the sofa next to him, her head resting on his lap. She kept laughing at him for being such a geek, but stopped when Touya suggested her to try the same. She tugged on his ear for his comment, making him wince. "Don't get cocky," she scoffed when someone rang the doorbell. "You get it," she told him, but Touya did not budge―he had probably not even heard it. "Tooouya!" she whined. "I'm busy, (first name)," he replied, his eyes never leaving the screen in front of him. "I'm busy too?" she remarked, looking up at him. "With what, being lazy?" He did not look back at her, but he was amused. "I consider that busy!" It did not help―in the end it was (first name) who got up to answer the door. "Coming, coming," she mumbled while walking towards it. She opened it, but no one was there. She rolled her eyes. Why do youngsters still think it's funny to pull prank buzzing? She sighed and was about to close the door when a familiar face jumped into her view, startling her.

"Hehe~ did I get you, (nickname)?"

"Wha― I should've known it was you, Kana," (first name) remarked and stepped aside, so her friend could enter.

Kana Amano, an energetic girl with a funny accent who (first name) had met in her first year of university. It took (first name) a while to get used to Kana―she had not had friends in a very long time, but eventually Kana was introduced to Touya who she got along with really fast―or at least Touya tolerated her enough for her to visit them almost daily.

"Lemme guess! Occhan is a serious student and works on his assignments unlike us?" Kana asked while taking off her shoes. "Bingo! He's in the living-room and has been working on some project since four in the morning, can you believe that?! And it's due next month too! Seriously, I don't understand that guy," (first name) explained, shaking her head. The two girls entered the living-room and saw Touya silently reading an article on his laptop. Kana took this chance to creep up on him and startle him. "K-Kana? You surprised me," he said, but was actually very calm. "Good to see you," he added and smiled at his guest, making her sigh. "How boring~ (nickname)'s reactions are way funnier, y'know?"

(first name) silently watched their interaction from a distance.

"Aaaah~ I want a boyfriend too!" Kana whined as she dramatically fell down onto the sofa next to Touya.

"I―I've won," someone stated, two other girls just blinking in confusion. "Won what?" a voicemy voice?inquired. "Do you wonder why your class is full of ugly people?" the other began, a somewhat arrogant smirk on her face, "Well. That's because all the cute ones are in my class! Hard luck, my friends!" she finished, raising a fist into the air as if she had actually won something.

All of a sudden, (first name) felt like a bucket of cold water had hit her. The longer she looked at her friend, the stronger this feeling became. She put a hand to her head and wondered whose voices she had just heard in her mind, but the more she thought about it, the more her mind became all blurry. Eventually, it became so bad that she had to support herself on the wall nearby. Hearing the harsh sound of (first name)'s hand meeting the wall, Touya turned his head to see the state his girlfriend was in. "(first name), what's wrong?" He immediately got up and ran up to her. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked again as he took her into his arms, a hand reassuringly running through her hair.

"Whoa, (nickname), what's up?" Kana also got up and went up to check on her friend. "I-I'm fine. Just a strong headache all of a sudden, but that happens often. No worries," (first name) explained, leaving out an important detail―the familiar? voices in her head, she did not even remember anymore what they had talked about. "Come on, I'll take you to the kitchen and prepare a herbal tea for you! That helps with headaches!" Kana suggested, wrapping an arm around her friend and supporting her all the way to the small kitchen.

Touya stood there and watched after his girlfriend. He could sense something was off, after all he had greatly contributed to the way she was now―he knew her better than anyone else, she was like a part of him.

(first name)... could it be that...?

----------

[ last edited: 21/12/18 ]

[ word count: 1448 ]