Chapter One

Let it be said that Merlin was tired.

Nearly two thousand years and Arthur had not yet returned from the dead in Albion's time of need, or whatever that particular prophecy meant. While Merlin was glad there was no great disaster, he missed his King.

Merlin sighed as he walked down the streets of New York, still looking young as ever. He rarely donned the guise of 'old man Merlin' anymore, as he preferred to look himself.

Arthur told him to never change, after all. He just didn't think the 'never change' part would be so literal. He truly cursed his immortality sometimes. Honestly, it was such a hassle to have to constantly create new identities. It was so much easier a few hundred years ago. No pesky technology to fool or hide from if he wanted to get a job or something to pass the time in the Muggle world. Most people back then would just dismiss him if they thought he wasn't aging as he moved from place to place, but not these days.

He was staying in some hotel for the few weeks he had been staying in the city. It was nice, but impersonal. His small cabin by Lake Avalon was much homelier. It was styled much like the days of old in Camelot, with modern additions. But he needed a break, he was sure Arthur wouldn't mind if he took a few weeks off. He owed him a lot of days off if Merlin said so himself.

So lost in his thoughts, he didn't realise something was wrong until someone ran into his shoulder. Then he heard the screams.

Merlin's head snapped up instantly. People were fleeing the scene and there was a group of masked people shooting at random in the street. Merlin froze for a moment, trying to figure out what was happening. It took him a second- he'd forever blame his old age for it taking so long to click, but he realised he should probably be doing something.

But now was not the time, as was punctuated by a shop front exploding not far in front of him. He raised his arms to shield his face as more screams sounded throughout the street and he snapped into action.

The dark haired man ran through the crowd, skillfully avoiding the civilians with ease that came from spending years as a servant being pulled into battles. He pulled his neckerchief over his face even as without much of a thought, his eyes flashed gold and an invisible bubble surrounded his head, allowing him to breathe freely through the flames as he dashed into the store.

Eyes flashing he shifted debris and pulled people out from where they were trapped and ushered them out onto the streets, handing them off to police officers that were just arriving at the scene, along with paramedics and firefighters.

Ignoring the shouts of the officer behind him, he dashed back into the building, stumbling as the one next to it burst into flames as well, the shockwave rocking the floor. He reached out with his magic, finding only one more person trapped in the building.

He dashed through the flames, enchantments protecting his skin even as it turned black with ash and scorch marks made themselves known on his clothes. There was a wail just off to the side and Merlin paled. It was a child.

He ran through the flames, dodging a support beam as it collapsed where he had been but a moment before. Huddled behind an upturned metal table was a small child, no more than four or five. She was crying and coughing harshly, a thin trail of blood at her temple and matting her short brown hair.

He approached as quickly as he dared, not wanting to frighten her, swallowing harshly as he saw who must have been her mother dead underneath a bit of collapsed wall.

"Hey, sweetie." He cooed softly, crouching in front of her and edging forward. She continued to cry from her spot, looking at him with such fear.

"I'm gonna get you out, okay?" With a flash of gold, the table lifted into the air and moved out of the way. It caught the young girl by surprise and Merlin took the opportunity to scoop her up into his arms, covering her mouth with his neckerchief and extending the two enchantments to her. The first protected against smoke, not ash unfortunately and he didn't want to take any chances.