The Death of Alex Kralie

• Dedicated to Riley

The Death of Alex Kralie

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. My breathing tried to catch up with me as I slid down the back of the dirty hospital room with my heart racing. I’m wasn’t going to be safe here. He’d find me. Oh my God, he’d find me.

The man who I once recognized as my cousin; who I lived with; who I fell asleep to Disney movies on the couch after a long day with...

He’d find me. And kill me.

There was nothing the hooded man could do now. The masked man was no help, either... And the only some-what of a normal guy was already killed by my cousin. Jay loved a good life, I guess. In the end, though, all he had was paranoia eating away at him and the false hope in that my cousin Alex would stop and remember the friendship that we all shared. At least Tim was there for him, no matter the horrible times that he suffered- all because of the mask he wore. The hooded man seemed to make everything worse at first. Then everything calmed down around him and I felt safe and happy. I was happy that he took me. But then the hooded man took Alex and everything got worse again.

Oh my God, he’s walking down the hall now. I heard his heavy footsteps- they were slow, as if trying to taunt me. He knew I was here. I imagined his hands running over the top of his gun, pulling at it to cock it- Getting ready to shoot me. His cousin that he said he’d protect, that he’d love, that he wouldn’t let anything happen to her...

My head snapped to the corner of the room- the hooded man, totheark, was crouched there- leaning in the corner. One of his hands gripped a metal pole like the one he’d knocked out Alex with. He nodded to me, so confident in himself.

I was conflicted. Could I just desert my cousin and follow totheark, watching as he knocked Alex out and probably shot him in the head? A part of me wanted to run out into the halls and throw myself at Alex. Let him shoot me.

Totheark stood up and quickly strode to the other door- disappearing into another hallway that probably led to the hallway Alex was in. I put my head in my hands. I started to try and think of what would happen in both scenarios. My thoughts were interrupted, though, by a noise in the hall.

“You can run,”

Oh dear God, it was Alex.

“Riley Kralie, you can run... All you’d like.”

He sounded so close.

“But I’ll get you one day.”

And then I heard him cock the gun. This was it. He was right outside the door, wasn’t he? I wasn’t ready to die. I didn’t want to go with this. Then I heard him start whispering to himself in a harsh tone.

Then a scream.

Totheark’s scream.

Then a clank of pipe hitting the wall.

I shrank back into the corner of the room where totheark was before. I could hear them wrestling. Alex’s gun flew out of his hand- landing somewhere on the floor with a small series of taps. Then they were both screeching, louder than banshees, leaving me to cower in the corner, covering my ears as the tears spilled from my eyes. I bit my lip to keep from screaming as well.

Oh my God.

Someone reached the gun, dragging it across the floor before lifting it up and squeezing the trigger, letting the bullet fly from the black plastic. Then Alex screamed.

I shot up, screaming now for Alex.

I nearly tripped as I sprinted to the hallway, seeing the horror of totheark backed up against the wall, coughing while fumbling around in his pocket for Tim’s pills while Alex ran out of breath to scream with, clutching at his side which leaked blood quickly. The gun lay next to totheark. He shot Alex.