Shock! Part 1

"He's bleeding out!!", Susan shouted.  "Oh my G-d!!  Call an ambulance - NOW!  They've killed him!"  She tried to do something to help.  She was untrained and essentially clueless as to what to do.  Blood was everywhere.

But, in the deepest part of Susan's heart and mind, she already knew.  She understood the absolute unthinkable had happened.  He was dead.  Right here, right now.  Murder in Mr. Shap's office here at the local elementary school.  She could have prevented it.  Maybe.  But when the grisly killing occurred, she was out to lunch.  She walked over to the local diner on foot during her lunch hour, since there was finally some sunshine after the long, cold winter in Rockwell.  She was glad to finally get outside, get some air, some exercise, and hangout with her best friend.  

Susan knew something strange had been going on with Mr. Shap recently and she had been worried.  But he was such a respected man and the nicest boss anyone could ever dream of.   She never suspected anything criminal.  Susan just figured there were some school related meetings or discussions going on.  She didn't know about what, but the two men and one woman who visited Mr. Shap's office several times lately, did not seem friendly or happy.  What was this about she wondered, as she continued on with her administrative duties.  Mr. Shap had a school to run and as he often said, without her, he couldn't get it all done.  She felt responsible and committed to her work.  Being Mr. Shap's personal assistant was a perfect fit for Susan's skills and career goals.  The hours also fit her well, since she had two young children to take care of at home.  Mr. Shap relied on her, but also gave her the flexibility she needed.

She sat back on the floor in the corner, screaming out loud, "How could this happen - to HIM?!"  She kept thinking -  It's just not possible.  He was so well-liked, no....loved, but everyone.  He was a real "righteous" person - one who doesn't come along every day.  This is just a nightmare.

The fallout from Mr. Shap's murder was piercing and painful.  Susan was shocked - her world turned upside down.  The school's children and parents were stunned.  Their lives would be impacted forever - so would Mr. Shap's family.  His lovely wife and children were grieving.  Essentially, the entire close-knit community was mourning.  Mr. Shap was one of our leaders and was well respected as a principal, as a person, and as a friend to everyone.

Nobody knew what would happened next.  How would the school, the children, Susan, the Shap family and the entire community move on? 

More intriguing though, was who killed Mr. Shap and why?  What would the police find?  Was anyone else in danger?  Mostly, the talk in Rockwell was of a robbery gone bad.  No one suspected anything beyond this.  Well, no one except Susan, who kept thinking something wasn't right.  Something bad had been happening and whatever it was it lead to the murder.  She was scared and nervous.  She told herself, let the police do their job.  Let's get back to normal, as much as possible.  Hopefully, the mystery will be solved quickly.  The thoughts were still there for her at night.  The questions abound and it was difficult to sleep, making getting back to normal even more challenging.  When would they figure it all out, so she can live again!?