Born in 1969

The new year rang in on a Wednesday to very little flourish

The new year rang in on a Wednesday to very little flourish. At least, it felt that way to Don Draper who was alone, standing like a ghost in his office at the stroke of midnight. He gazed down at the cityscape below him, breath almost fogging up the window, but barely noticing the clanging clocks or the jubilant cheers of Times Square several blocks away. 

From the high rise of Sterling Cooper snowflakes kicked upwards against the glass, blurring out everyone's past mistakes. A new year meant a fresh new start for most of us, and as the first moments of 1969 eked by on shaky, newborn legs, Don scowled at the thought of starting over. 

Don had never considered himself a failure. Quite the opposite, in fact. His life until this point had been a string of successes made up of good, smart thinking and well-timed favours. But he wasn't one to settle. He always craved something else. Something more. So while the world might be revelling in it's newness, this wouldn't be a fresh start for him because Don always had his wheels in motion.

Never the counting-his-chickens type, Don wasn't one for vapid celebration. No, for Don Draper 1969 was going to matter, but not yet. Not tonight. Not because of streamers and fireworks. A Wednesday was a Wednesday to him no matter where it fell on the calendar. But if all went well, the real cause for celebration would begin in the morning.

He poured himself another whiskey. Canadian. Neat. And bought the tumbler gently to his lips. He wanted a challenge, something to set himself alight. That feeling had been missing for so long now, and despite a promising tenure, the advertising business of Sterling Cooper was not meant to be the summit of his career, he knew that now more than ever. The thought of shilling another car model or cigarette brand made the back of his eyes itch. This year he was going to move onto to brighter things. He wasn't just going to reach for the stars, he was going to take them for himself one by one. 

The melting ice tinkled against the glass in his hand. The only sound in the room besides the dull singe of his cigarette and the gentle tick of the clock. 

Tomorrow she would call him. Maybe not first thing; the young ones liked to sleep, he knew that. But she would call and she would agree to the terms of the deal. It was a risk for both of them, sure, but like all of his decisions, the fire had already been lit.  There was no going back now. Not for him. Not for her. 

Tomorrow, Don Draper would see to it that Taylor Swift becomes be the biggest star the world had ever seen.

As the clock quietly ticked past 12:01, Don tipped his glass on the window, cheersing the city below, knowing full well they'll never know what hit them.