Against The Clock (The Labyrinth)

"Cassie, can you complete the end of your deal or shall I just go and tell Frank not to bother with the car-?"

 "I'M GOING!" I screamed, stumbling out of my room as I grabbed onto the string that hung from the roof and pulled the attic stair's down and scrambled up it, while dad stood there, silently shaking in laughter.

"Just like your mother." he muses to himself.

 "Hey," my mother whacks my dad's shoulder as I peered down at them from the hole in the roof as my dad pouted at my mother, "Nothing's wrong with being a clumsy woman."

"Not at all, but you just tell that to all the plates and glasses you've broken."

 My mother rolled her eyes before she passed up some lanterns, "Spring cleaners annoying, isn't it?" she mumbles before I grinned down at them.

"More or less, but hey - I got the cool part of the house."

"The attic is creepy, not cool-"

"Shh, she's actually helping us." my dad whisper's and I gave them both a look before I turned the lanterns on and looked around the attic - which was creepy.

 Putting the battery operated lantern down I continued to turn five more on and put them all on the floor, and then I started the great spring cleaning of the attic. Taking thing's, cleaning them and putting them in a box to either be thrown away or to be sold at an garage sale.

 And then I cam to a chest. 

On my knee's I pulled a bobby pin out of my hair and then shoved it into the lock - err, I saw it on the Internet once.

I heard a click and I pushed the lid up and found a bunch of junk in it... so, why was it locked exactly?

I pulled out some stuffed toys out, putting them beside me before I pulled out an old newspaper, "Nineteen year old girl murdered in house with younger brother inside..." 

Blinking at my brother's name, Toby Connelly - him being the younger brother...

 His sister was murdered? I plucked another newspaper from the chest and saw that they had at least caught the bastards that did that to my aunt.

 Placing the news papers on the ground next to me I reached into the chest, pulling out fairy tale books to drawings. 

Then the only thing's left in the bottom was a small red book and a larger blue book. Pulling those two out of the chest, the pad of my thumb rubbed against the dusty surfaces before I neatly packed everything back into the chest before I continued cleaning...

I wonder why dad never told me about his sister? Maybe it was just because he was in pain by it?

Finishing that up I walked over to the ladder and started to take thing's down stair's.

* * * * 

I sat up in my bed, sweat covering my skin as my heart pounded against my chest.

Ripping off my bed cover's, I grabbed onto a torch beside my bed and ran into the hallway, pulled down the attic stairs and stopped in front of the chest.

Staring down at it I plopped myself down on the wooden floor and opened it, and then started to examine everything carefully, while reading every word and became intoxicated with the story of the Labyrinth and the fact Sarah had writer about her 'adventure' in the land where the Goblin King ruled.

Oh how I devoured page after page, my very first fantasy clouding my mind as I fell in love with the innocent story.

But it's really to bad it can last forever.