Chapter 1

A/N: Hey guys! I know this is really short, but I thought it was longer because it looked longer on my iPod. :P Well, I REALLY hope you guys like my story! I'm going to try to write longer chapters and upload one chapter per week. I usually proofread my writing, so if I made a mistake, POLITELY let me know please! :) If you have CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, let me know by commenting below, on my message board, or PMing me, and please don't advertise your stories on here. It's rude and there are groups for that. Also, the places in my story are made up, or as far as I know, so if they're not, I have intended for them to be fake, not real.(:   THANKS! :D 

2012 Copyright® All Rights Reserved 

***

Ocean Bay   May 28th   Present day

"One month?!" I exclaimed, causing the people shopping in the aisle to stop what they were doing to look at me and my mom.

"Yes, one month, Alexis" my mom clarified in a quiet voice as she turned away in embarrassment, picked up a Kraft dinner Mac & Cheese box and a Campbells clam chowder soup can and dropped it into our black, worn and broken shopping basket.

"And there are things that still have to be planned like the cake, flowers, food, music, decorations, wine bottles, and purchasing Nate's ring."

"But it was a year away just a little while ago...' I trailed off, realizing that time really does fly by when you're having fun. And when I say fun, I mean not being married to a slime ball.

"Yes, it was. But that was a year ago and now the wedding is a month and 8 days away. And in addition, you'll be moving in with Nate in  a month. You'll have time to finalize the details of the wedding and to prepare for-"

"The first day of my soon-to-be horrible life?" I said, cutting Mom off mid-sentence as I grabbed a box of Rice Krispies cereal from the aisle to the left of this one and walked over to the fruit section at the back of the store and grabbed a bundle of organic bananas and disposed both of the items into our basket. I crossed my arms and asked myself why there had to be arranged marriages where I lived. If Nate were a good-looking, kind, respectful, trustworthy, and caring guy, then maybe I wouldn't be so resistant to accept the fact that I'm getting married in a month...and 8 days, to I guy I don't have anything in common with and who drives me insane with his snarky remarks, comments and "compliments". I usually only see Nate once or twice in the halls at school and we have no classes together, thank God. But dating him for a year two years ago was torture, and the proposal and engagement party last year were just awkward.  

We went on dates once or twice a month. Our dates were composed of dinner at restaurants, movies and pizza, and repetitive questions like "so, what kind of music are you into?", "what's your favourite colour?", "what's your favourite tv show?", "who inspires you?", "what do you think of politics?" Questions all asked by me in attempt to make small talk, which was exactly what it was. One, two, three word answers and awkward silences. I learned that Nate doesn't like talking very much, let alone small talk. One thing we don't have in common.

When he proposed, he didn't really propose. He just gave me an engagement ring. But the engagement party was a different story. Still awkward, but more conversation. Shaking hands and hugging, pretty quiet, congratulating and asking questions...not so much. The people who asked those questions usually were married and had children of their own, so the answers didn't go over very well since they consisted of "um", "uh", "er", and "we're not sure yet." The people would reply "Oh. okay" and we would just rush them off and finish the conversations by saying "Yeah. Okay, bye! Thanks so much for coming! Thanks for the gift! See you soon!"

Our families like each other, so Mom and Dad don't understand why I am not looking forward to our wedding day on July 6th. I sigh and frown. There's worse people out there that I could be marrying.

"It won't be that horrible! Look at me and your dad for example. We didn't connect very well when we first met, we fought and disagreed, but now we have two beautiful daughters and we love each other," She said. I give her a half smile and she grabs my face between her hands and kisses my forehead.

We walk over to the least busiest express line and patiently wait. As we start to unload our groceries onto the conveyor belt, Mom looks at me and says "Believe me. It's all in your head. It'll be fine. I'm telling you from experience." She smiles and hugs me tight against her chest.

"Let's hope so." I say with a tone and sigh heavy with doubt.