Chapter 1

Ever since I was little I have been fascinated by caterpillars. They aren't loved like butterflies. They aren't beautiful. They can't fly. However, they endure this tragedy until they wrap themselves into their beautiful cocoon. Safe and warm, unaware of what they are doing, they turn into something beautiful and loved.

I always related to this, in everything I did. Boring school. Boring looks. Boring life. All I hoped for was the wonderful day I would shed my cocoon and unroll my wings.

But, that day has still yet to come.

----------------------------------

The final day of my freedom was nothing special. I had work. I woke up early to shower and dress, carefully making sure my skin was clean and fresh while my clothes are ironed and clean. I cooked myself breakfast, just making eggs and toast, then brushed my teeth and washed my hands before leaving.

I don't know why people complain about traffic. I have always found it peaceful. Sitting in the quiet, peaceful car. Sometimes playing music. It's a blessing I feel this way, since I had to drive for forty seven minutes everyday to get to my job.

I didn't have a particularly interesting job, just a simple secretary job at a local law firm call Brunson and Merchant. It wasn't particularly exciting, but it was something to do and a way to make money.

I didn't necessarily need the money, though, because my mother had always been generous to share her vast fortune. I had all the money I could possibly need, however I felt the need to support myself and show my mother that all the things she taught me were being put to use.

Being a secretary may be very tedious, however it left me with plenty of time to do as I pleased. I knitted and read when I wasn't answering phone. The owners were very gracious, especially when I made mistakes. Working there was peaceful and fulfilling.

When I went out for lunch that day, I decided to change my day up from my usually routine and go out for a fresh baked brownie at a bakery across the street. I had seen their sign before, however I had never been in their shop. Purchasing the treat, I waited near the counter while they finished making it. As I waited, a mother came in with her daughter and they both bought cookies.

I have no children, but I hope one day to be blessed with the gift of raising my own. Raising children is an important part of human society, and it is my duty to aid our society by having children of my own.

While on their way out, the young girl dropped her doll. I bent down and picked it up for the girl, admiring its sleek hair and clear eyes. I had never had many dolls as a child, and clearly this one was well loved. As I was close to tapping the girls shoulder, she shrieked and spun around.

As she spun around, her arms spun wildly, he elbow hitting me in harshly in the stomach. I clutched my stomach as the girl finally noticed me and took the doll from my hands.

"Thank you." The mother called over her shoulder as they kept walking towards their car. I didn't respond, surprised at the pain the girl had caused me by simply spinning her arms around. Trying to ignore my discomfort, I took my brownie from the counter and thanked the cashier before heading back to work.

When I finally reached home again, I had very little energy from they day and could barely get myself to eat my chicken and vegetables. Taking a shower and pulling on comfortable pajamas, I climbed into my bed and slowly drifted to sleep for the last time in my own bed.