1. vengeance

"You have been here for days, Harp," Grace said.

"Ben- He's been asking about you. His men keep coming in to find you. I can't hide you forever, Harp." She would say days later.

"Sokanon came in looking for you. She's grieving too, Declan. She needs you too." She would say again days later.

"Declan, it's been weeks."

Harp stared at her with the same blank gaze that had haunted his face for near the past month. He was half-starved, somewhere between drunk and hungover, and lost in a state of pure misery.

Grace stood over him, in one hand holding a bucket and the other a bottle of whisky.

"No more," she said, sternly. "No more."

Glassy blue eyes turned, finally, to appraise her. It was somewhat disorientating to stand above a man such as Declan Harp. On his feet he was nearly twice Grace's height and she was hardly the smallest of women.

"Declan?"

"Where is he?" Lack of use had made Harp's voice hoarse, his throat sore. Grace was started; she had almost forgotten just what he sounded like.

"Who?"

"Benton."

Grace paused. She had not looked forward for this moment.

"He's left the Fort," she whispered. "He's taken the last ship of the season back to London. You won't see him again this season."

She had expected more of a reaction, perhaps she had even hoped for it. She had expected Harp to jump back to his feet, to snatch the bottle from her hand, to strike the wall... - anything.

Harp's face did not move; he did not seem to respond.

"Declan?"

Nothing.

"Declan?"

Nothing.