Chapter 4: The Meeting

My third period class sluggishly inched along. Every second dragged it's heavy feet across my chest, turning minutes into what felt like hours. My heart was beating rapidly, and the blood rushing through my veins quivered with anticipation. As soon as the bell rang I sprung from my seat and pushed past my classmates to reach the door. I hurried to my locker and crammed in my textbooks, looking for him out of the corner of my eye. He was not by his locker, so I assumed he was already waiting for me.

I arrived and did not see him, so I sat myself on a bench and waited. I had crossed my legs, pointing my toes with my spine arched, presenting myself to him, although he was not yet there to see me. My heart was pounding in my chest, but his dark figure coming into view alleviated my anxiety. He hadn't seen me yet. 

"Hey," I said softly, but loud enough for him to hear me.

His head twisted to face me and our eyes met. An enrapturing smirk swept across his face. I meekly smiled in return.

"Hi." he replied.
He had a husky voice, with a soft lisp that clung to his words in the same way I clung to the sound of them. He slowly sauntered towards me and agonizing small talk commenced. The routine "How are you?"s and "What's up?"s. We spoke in a shallow way, dancing on the surface of the water as we both stared into the deep, utterly entranced.

"So tell me about yourself." he said.

"What do you want to know?" 

"I don't know. I just want to get to know you better." 

He began inching closer. We were standing under a small awning, a chalky stucco wall was behind me. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, and placed his sturdy hands on the curve of my waist as he pressed his hips into mine. 

"Is this you getting to know me better?", I teased in a breathless voice. Our lips were inches from touching. His long fingers tuck my hair behind my ear, and he let out a small laugh. 

"Do you know of a better way?" His hand traveled down my cheek, and he traced my jawline with his thumb.

"Well, most people talk - but where's the fun in that?" 

"I'm just glad I could finally get you alone."

"Really?" I said in a whisper, chewing the skin of my bottom lip as burning fire spread through my cheeks.

That's when he kissed me. His lips closed in on mine and I felt the air leap from my lungs into his. I could not breathe, but I did not want to breathe. I did not need to breathe, as long as my lips were on his. Kissing him felt like breathing. Our lips would part for a split second and I would suffocate in the lack of contact. His fingers tangled themselves at the roots of my hair, and he tugged ever so gently. I moaned softly into his mouth as he took my bottom lip between his teeth. My hands snaked around the back of his neck and I pulled him closer. I had never been kissed like this, but everything came naturally when he was with me.