The Dream

Silence dripped from the branches as she moved, a pale apparition that drifted aimlessly between the pillars of trees that guarded the invisible trails, her feet making not a murmur on the carpet of emerald beneath her. The hazy white-blonde of her hair drifted, forcelessly, as she slalomed through the trunks, gaze cast elsewhere from where her strides took her. Even the wind dare not sigh, holding it's breath as if to preserve the positions of the leaves. Her barefeet were smudged by moss, the fresh rainfall allowing mud to smear on her soles, tracking up to her delicate ankles. Shafts of sunlight squeezed through the canopy, illuminating the mist that eased over the dappled ground. The mist itself coiled round her porcelain legs, curling up around the trees and over crouching foliage that cowered into the crevices between roots. They seemed to quiver as she pranced past, aware of her ghostly presence; shunning it. Even the stream had muted itself, tense and still, as she breezed by. A log laid, stout, broadside in her path, staring her down boldly. The whimsical girl gave it no entertainment as she drew closer with every lithe bound, and took no second thought as she took flight. Her limbs stretched, reaching eagerly into the arc of her flight, smoke-white hair slipping free of her face and shoulders. It was half a second behind her, lifted by the sheer power of the leap, pale locks forgotten in a moment's action as the strands. As she landed, one graceful foot seeking the damp comfort of the path, stark white against earth. As flesh made contact with ground, the forest exploded. The wind released it's breath, whistling behind her, stirring leaves to rustle. The stream charged, liquid bashing into outcrops of rock that barred the way, hissing and seething. She sprinted, darting restlessly forwards between the towering trees, skipping over rocks and underbrush that was scattered carelessly in front of her. The beams of sunlight caught her in brief glimpses, lighting her up for a picturesque second, before she was fleeing to the cool of the shadows. The breeze nipped at her ankles, stroking freezing fingers along her naked limbs, tugging at the pastel blue of her loose dress that fluttered lazily as she moved. The carelessness that she first ran with was replaced with a frantic flee that seized her, pressing her for an even faster turn of pace.