Chapter One

————————————————————
"Would the world be a better place if we looked at life from the perspective of a dog?"
————————————————————

Light creeps through the blinds and into Vanessa's room, making lined patterns on the bed. It's Saturday morning, and the smell of coffee lingers in the air.
Veronica must be awake.
Tiger lies silently on the bottom of the bed, at Vanessa's feet. It's early, and she is still asleep. On the other hand, Tiger sits with his eyes open, watching his reflection in the black television screen. He tilts his head to the side, wonder striking him.
What? Who is this guy? Who does he think he is, copying me like this?
As he continues to study his reflection, he becomes more and more interested in the dog on the screen. Tiger yawns, and his reflection does the same. A low growl rumbles in his throat.
Okay, this guy is asking for it. Copy me one more time and I'll unleash my fury!
Tiger stands, challenging the strange dog to do the same. The reflection stands. In an instant, Tiger hurdles himself toward the screen in a yapping bundle of heated fur.
I warned you! Now you're gonna get it, pal! Nobody comes into my house without my say so!
Instead of attacking another dog, Tiger hits the screen with a bang, and falls to the floor, dazed.
Ouch!
Tiger stands up, shaking his body vigorously.
Man! What just happened? That hurt!
He looks around, and scans the room for the other dog. He appears to be gone.
Aha! I've scared him away! Good riddance!
Tiger holds his head up high, and silently celebrates his victory. Behind him, pieces of the television screen lay on the floor. Suddenly, Vanessa sits up in her bed, her hair a wavy mess. She squints and rubs her eyes before looking down at Tiger, a questioning look on her freckled face.
"Tiger? What are you doing?" She blinks and looks around, trying to find the source of the loud bang she had heard. Tiger watches her, pride flooding through his fuzzy body.
I just saved your life! There was this other dog in your room! I chased him away! Aren't you proud of me?
Vanessa holds a finger up to her mouth.
"Shhh! Tiger! Stop barking! Mom and Dad are probably still asleep!"    Tiger stops, and sits down. He watches Vanessa curiously as she lets out a small gasp, her eyes becoming wide. She quickly jumps out of bed, and rushes over to where Tiger sits. Vanessa stands over him, shaking her finger in the air.
     "What? Did you do this, Tiger? Did you break my TV?"
     Tiger is taken aback by her sharp tone.
      I don't understand. Why are you mad? I saved you! What's a TV?
     He tilts his head at Vanessa, who stands with her hands on her hips. She continues to watch him with a scornful look. Tiger becomes restless and begins to walk away.
     Fine. I'll go downstairs then. If I'm such a bad dog for saving you.
     Tiger walks over to the closed bedroom door, and begins to scratch at it, attempting to get out. Vanessa watches him with a stern look, that quickly fades as she continues to gaze at him.     
     "Oh Tiger, what would I do without you?" She strolls over to him, picks him up, and carries him back to the bed. Tiger breaks free of her grasp and turns around on the bed to face her, a victorious feeling washing over him.
     Yeah, that's me. The dog that just saved your life. You're welcome.
     Vanessa pets Tiger down the length of this body and sighs. "Mom's not gonna be happy about that TV." She turns her attention to the black shards on the floor. Tiger follows her gaze and finally notices the broken screen.
     Did I do that? Whoops...
     Suddenly Veronica walks into the room, opening the bedroom door with urgency.
     "Vanessa? Did you hear that noise? It sounded like something broke." At that moment, Tiger jumps off the bed and bolts down the stairs.
     I'm not sticking around for whatever happens next...
     Veronica watches him go, and then turns her attention back to her sister. Vanessa nods and frowns, looking over at her broken television. She points at the floor, broken glass scattered everywhere. Veronica raises her eyebrows in surprise.
     "What happened?" Vanessa manages a chuckle of laughter.
     "Tiger happened."