First Encounter

"Mark, that call was from the hospital... My wife is now in labor... It's our third child and I've always made it a point to be there for her." Mr. Villa elatedly informed him. "We're expecting the baby tomorrow yet but... Anyway, pare, I'll take this with me..." taking the folder with him... "and I will study your proposal and probably make suggestions of my own. I'll call you, say, two days from now."

After shaking hands, Mr. Villa left stopping briefly at the counter to talk to the cashier.

Mark was confident as he left the restaurant. "I could have clinched that deal tonight if not for that emergency." Mark thought. "At least kinuha nya ang proposal ko..." He further enthused.

Mark was still thinking about business when the elevator opened at the ground floor there he saw her walking towards the bar, her back towards him and found himself following her.

She sat at the far end of the bar and did not seem to be waiting for anyone and he wondered... "What is she doing here alone?" He asked himself observing her every move. The bartender, as soon as he saw her, gave her a drink without her even ordering her drinks. "She must be a regular." He mused.

"She didn't look like a hooker." Far from it, he construed looking at her intently as he sat at the opposite end. She'd looked... Not lonely, but alone. Definitely alone. Like him. Maybe that was the reason she aroused more than simple lust in him. But how could he tell nowadays. And there, he could see the men at the bar with them eyeing her direction.

"Sino 'yang bagong dating, pare." Mark heard one of the men ask the bartender looking at the woman.

"Ah si Miss Heart po... Madalas din po sya dito pero lagi pong mag-isa." The bartender replied as he replenished the man's drink.

"Pwes, ngayon, di na sya mag-iisa!" The man said confidently as he looked at his two companions.

Mark saw the bartender's apprehension and hesitantly warned, "Eh sir, pumupunta lang po sya dito para mag-unwind. Ayaw po nya, sir, yung iistorbohin sya ng mga gustong makipagkilala. Eh... minsan na pong may sumubok, at nakipagkilala kahit sinabihan na namin eh pinahiya nya yung lalaki. Nagkaroon pa nga po ng scene dito noon at na-dyaryo pa... Di ko lang po alam kung ano talaga ang nangyari pagkatapos noon pero di na po bumalik yung lalaki dito."

"Ah, ganun ba..."

"Pare..." one of his companions butted in... "baka malaman pa yan ng girlfriend mo... lagot..." Nagtawanan sila at umiling-iling ang lalaki sabay sabing... "Sayang maganda pa naman suplada pala..."

Seemingly uninterested in a conversation that did not concern him, Mark tapped the counter to get the bartender's attention.

"Yes, sir?" the bartender asked.

"Beer, please." Mark ordered.

Just as the bartender slid the mug of beer at the counter that stopped right in front of him, Mark saw Heart signaled for another order of her drink and he shook his head. "At malakas pa palang uminom." He tsked and continued observing her.

Mark was just returning from the comfort room when he saw Heart took something out of her bag but dropped it and broke into two pieces. Mark picked it up for her and rewarded him with a smile and muttered her gratitude without really looking at him. "Thanks." She said simply before he turned to leave.

"Darn it!!!" Mark heard her say and looked at her again. Nakita niya ang pagkadimaya sa mukha ni Heart habang tinitignan ang nahating cell phone sa kamay nya.

"Miss, can I help?" Mark offered seeing her desperation. And was there a tear there in her eyes that just threatened to fall?

Still not looking at him, she gave a curt reply. " No thank you..." then hesitantly continued... "unless you have a cellphone for me to put my SIM into..."