Chapter One The Jazzy Bird, 1938

"Sammie, you're on in ten minutes. What's the hold up?" Tony asked "Sorry, Uncle Tony. It won't happen again. I was just getting ready to go on." I said 'The year was 1938, I was a lounge singer for my uncle Tony's jazz club. He was the only paternal figure I knew, since his brother and my father, Big Louie and my mother Ruby had fled New York, leaving my twin sister Pam and I in the care of Tony and his wife Rose. My sister and I are lounge singers in different clubs, I sang at the Jazzy Bird, and Pam at Club Roxbourough.. my name is Samantha Jane Deveraux.. And this is my story.. I was singin' at the Club one night, I was about to perform my next number.. it wasn't long before he had entered the club and my heart..' "Marrone, who's the dish up on stage?" Johnny asked "As if you could get a dame like her. Don't hold your breath, Johnny." Ricky said "What's her name?" Johnny asked "She's too classy a broad to be with a cavone like you.." Ricky said "Her name.. her name. Give me her goddamn name, Ricky.." Johnny said "Samantha Deveraux. Her name is Samantha Deveraux." Ricky said "I didn't know that Tony had two other daughters." Johnny said "He has only one daughter, Gina. Samantha and her sister are Big Louie's twin daughters." Ricky said "She's the most beautiful woman in Brooklyn. I must have her.." Johnny said "Thank you, boys.. Now, for the new faces I see tonight, I'd like to get to introduce myself before I perform my next number.. My name's Samantha Jane Deveraux I am half Italian on my mother's side, and French on my father's, though my uncle Tony's who owns this beautiful club where I perform is the only parent my sister and I have ever known.. well that's enough about me for now, so, who am I gonna get to know first...?" I asked "I'd like to get to know that dame on a deep personal level, if you get my drift.." A man said "Oh, watch what you're sayin', Rocko.. that is a lady up there.." Johnny said " Finally, someone in my uncle's club with manners.. Get on up here, stranger." I said "Here's my chance. Ricky, eat your heart out.." Johnny said "Start with your name, sir.." I said "Roxbourough, Johnny Roxbourough.." Johnny said "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Roxbourough.." I said warmly "No need for formalities between us; call me Johnny.." Johnny said "Johnny Roxbourough, as in the owner of Club Roxbourough?" I asked "The one and only.. have you been to my club?" Johnny asked "No, but I know that's where Pam sings.." I said "You know Pam?" Johnny said interest in his voice "She's my twin sister." I said "No wonder you look like her." 'We had talked to one another for hours until closing hours were approaching, Tony had been watching as Johnny had walked me back to my dressing room, I had looked until he disappeared down the hall.. I was wondering if I would see him again..'

~End of Chapter One~