Introduction

I had never carried a lighter suitcase in my whole life. It was even lighter than when we stayed up north 3 days, while Pa was on a business trip. 

My pa told me, the heavier I pack, the lighter I'll get. I'm guessin' he meant my weight. I never claimed to be a big man, but I definitely ain't no tank. Mama always told me that I had the biggest heart, and the weight of that kept my feet on the ground.

Mama is the nicest lady you'd ever meet. She cares, even when she shouldn't.

One time, we were on our way home from my grandpa's house which is quite a mile a-ways from where we live. We had to stop at a gas station because our car was runnin' low on fuel, and this man was just beggin' for somethin, anything, really. Food, water, hell, even clothes. Everyone there just kinda brushed it off. She told the man, who's 5 o'clock shadow was darker than the night sky, and who's hair was oilier than the fuel for our car, that we would pray for him at church tomorrow. And with that, she gave him her special bible that she has gotten when she was young. She always carried it with her, wherever she went. The man burst into tears, thanking her for being so kind. And with that, we left.

Come church time, Sunday, Mama prayed for him, and I did too. I'd pray for anyone who smelled like rotting fish guts, like that.

I wasn't quite sure what I was doing if I'm completely honest, I had heard my friend Bill talkin' bout' enlisting when he was 18, so I figured that I would too. That was about a year ago though. I guess he found a new sense of direction when he met this stuck up brunette who goes by the name Lillian. The only thing I favored of hers was her big ol' cans she carried around on her chest. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what Bill sees. It's gotta be the breasts. One of these days, he'll come to his senses, I'm sure of it. 

Bill was tellin' me there was this big ol' fancy war that's been goin' on since 39, it almost bein' 42 now, you'd think that all this mess would be over. With that, however, somehow, the United states got brought into this giant mess, and fortunately, I've got the Lord on my side, along with my 3 younger brothers and my Ma and Pa. They were all a bit skeptical at first, seeing as I'm a man of color, but quickly became supportive of my decision, or at least acted like it. Hell, even Pa wanted to drive me to the station. That bein' said, he was in no hurry to take me. I might even miss my train if we don't leave soon.

"Pa, are we leavin' anytime soon?"

"Hold your horses, Son. I'm almost through." He says munchin' on his toast. 

"Yessir."

About to leave for the station, my mama and 3 brothers said their farewell's and left it at that. Ma, cryin' of course, bless her heart, but she knew that there was no stoppin' me now. Once I make up my mind, there ain't no goin' back.

"So, Son. you're about to be a man." Pa said, teary eyed, as we arrive. 

The whole car ride there, was dead silent, only the air comin' through the windows keepin' me sane. And let me tell you, It was one hell of a long ride. 

It's a bit nerve wracking to think about, leaving the people you grew up with your entire life, for Lord knows how long. I'm a bit of a homebody to be quite honest, I get home sick, even when I'm out in the yard, pullin' weeds.

"Yessir, waited 18 years to do so." I say, smiling while reaching my hand out to his.

He swats my hand away, and reaches over to give me a hug. This was the first time this man has ever showed this much affection toward anyone, even ma, let alone me. Pa isn't the nicest man, but he sure is respectable. He puts our food on the table, shelters us, and puts the clothes on our backs. Hell, even Ma couldn't get us dressed for Sunday mornin' church back when me and Trevor were young. One threat from Pa, and we were more than than happy to tuck our own shirts in.

Trevor, my oldest, younger brother, who ain't much younger than me is only 16. We bond well because of that, I think. He's easier to talk about my problems to. He understands them, as I understand his. Most recently, he's been talking to this girl, a few months or so. She's sweet, and real' pretty too. Brown hair, light brown eyes, and a smile as bright as the moon. He didn't say where they met, but I'd have to assume somewhere around school. I don't think either Ma or Pa know about her, because if they did, she would've already had dinner with us. Mama's always talkin' bout' how I need to bring a girl home, but none seems to catch my eye. She's tried countless of times tryin' to set me up with one of her friend's daughters, but none have caught my interest. 

I managed myself on the train, with my lighter than air suitcase, bible, and the clothes on my back. Pa left as soon as he dropped me off, but it was better that way. He needed to get back home to Ma, Michael, Trevor, and Patrick.

Patrick is one of the smartest people I've met, him only being 9, but you'd be surprised at the long division he could do. His handwriting was equally as smart. He could write cursive and everything! His spelling on the other hand, could use practice, but believe me, he's definitely one of the sharpest tools in the shed. I wish I could say he got that from me, but if anything, it's form Ma.

As for Michael, the youngest out of us 4 siblings, born only 5 years ago. You'd think he was the devil himself if you ever met him, always throwing stuff, screamin' cryin' until Pa would pop him, but it would always start again, like a cycle. Ain't no common sense in that boy. Mama and Pa said they were done after patrick, but that clearly wasn't the case.   

I break away from my thoughts as the train starts to move. I can hear this yellin' from behind me, however, it's not coming from anyone on the train.

"Hey! Wait! Stop the Train!"

I look out my window and see a scrawny white man, with his shirt unbuttoned and belt unfastened, shoutin' and wavin' his hands all about. Is he sure this is the right train he's chasing after? This train's got nothin but black folk in it.

"Wait!" You can hear him yellin'.

"Sir, this train is leavin' for the Army!" I inform him.

"yes, I know! I missed it!"

He was crazy! Runnin' after a train, as if it was gonna stop. So, I did the only logical thing i could think of.

"Grab my hand, I'll pull you in." I shout. I reach my hand out the window, it seemed big enough to pull him inside, seein' as how small he was.

He began to run a little faster with the look of distress being replaced with the widest grin I'd ever seen. Even wider than when Pa found out he'd gotten that promotion, a few years back.

"Come on, run!" 

"I'm trying!" 

Suddenly, I feel his hand grasp mine. I firmly gripped his hand, the hardest I could, and pulled. And pulled, and pulled, until his whole upper body was in the train. He then let go of my hand and fumbled inside. Everyone in the train looked at both me and the little white man I had helped through the window. Utter astonishment, I'd say. Not even a single blink. Hell, I'd be surprised too, if i'd witnessed somethin' like that!

The man dusted himself off, and reached out to shake my hand.

"Walter Kinderson." He exhales with a smile. He has a giant gap between his teeth, but was definitely the most welcoming face I'd seen yet on the train.

"George Taylor" I accepted his gesture, returning a smile.