1

hunter

Hunter sat alone at the Clements High School courtyard.

He sat at his usual spot -- a table closest to the parking lot. His best friend, Oliver Palmer, normally occupied the seat next to him but in today's case, it was empty. However, he didn't mind that Oliver wasn't here. This spot was his oasis of serenity amidst the loud cafeteria and bustling students.

Today, there seemed to be more of a buzz among the students than usual. All around him, he could make out different conversations about the same topic.

"Did you hear that Delilah Saunders was smoking weed in the school bathroom?"

"I heard she got arrested."

"Good grief, I can't believe she was so care--"

Hunter put in his earphones. It seemed to him that every month there was a new person who was in the center of the gossip. This seemed to be what everyone's main source of entertainment was nowadays.

He didn't understand or have the energy to care. The one thing he was always thinking about was graduating high school and starting his own life.

He dipped a semi-burnt french fry in ketchup. While popping it in his mouth, he felt the table being jostled. He looked up and saw three girls, each wearing more makeup than the other, sit down next to him. He took out his earphones and opened his mouth to say something until he noticed that the people around him were gawking at him and whispering.

Wait, no. Not at him, but at the girls. Specifically at one girl.

She had a strong nose and sharp cheekbones which were delicately framed by short coppery brown locks. Her tan complexion contrasted against her emerald green eyes. She had on a white crop top and smelled like the roses his mom kept around the house.

She was the Delilah everyone had been talking about.

Gradually, her other friends made their way over to her.

"I guess your rich mom bailed you out," Parker Edwards voice grew hushed. He ran his fingers through his unruly golden blonde hair. "Can you sell me some more?"

Delilah stared at her manicured fingernails and didn't answer. Her thumbs were fidgeting with each other.

"C'mon," Parker spoke quietly, giving her a nudge. "Are you really going to let some dumb cops stop you from having fun?"

Her friends leaned in with anticipation. After a few moments, Delilah turned towards him. "How much do you want?"

"Now we're talking, baby." Parker grinned, throwing his arm around her shoulder. Her other friends looked just as happy with her response as Parker.

Hunter shuffled in his seat. He felt as though he was eavesdropping on a private conversation. As awkward as it was, he wasn't sure if he should leave the table that he had claimed first.

"Hey, what's he doing here?" somebody shouted.

Six pairs of eyes were suddenly on Hunter.

Parker met Hunter's gaze and narrowed his icy blue eyes. Parker's eyes were all the myriad shades of blue which swirled together to form a whirlpool of hostility. "Are you going to leave, or what?"

Hunter could feel himself becoming annoyed. "I was here first. Why should I be the one to leave?"

"Because there's six of us and one of you." Parker's hands curled into fists, daring Hunter to say something back. 

They stared at each other for a moment before Hunter stood up and walked away with his tray. A flush of embarrassment rose to his cheeks as he walked towards the school entrance. 

He couldn't wait to graduate.

***

Please comment your thoughts down below, vote, and give me a follow! Any feedback is welcomed!