Leaving

When the train pulled into the station, my five-year-old sister and two year old brother waved at me. 

"I'll miss you Bubby," Sammy, my sister, mumbled quietly. "Will you come back?"

"Yes, Sammy, I'll come home in four days." 

She smiled, giving me one last hug. Sammy looked into my eyes sadly, but she smiled. "Have fun, Alex,"

I hugged my mom before the I boarded. "I'll see you when I come back."

I held my little brother, Nicholas. "I'm gonna miss you buddy."

Nicholas squirmed and started crying. He didn't want me. Ouch.

"Alex," my mom said, taking Nicholas back from me. She shifted him into her left arm, putting her right hand on my shoulder. "You might not see Sammy again."

"It got worse? I thought she was over it," I said, trying not to show how upset I was. Her cancer had already taken three years of her life that she could've lived outside a hospital. Her relapse was unexpected, and she had less chance of fighting it.  

"Alex, you've been such a good brother to her and Nicholas, and a good son to me. You're only fourteen, so make the most of your trip. If the doctors can help, Sammy can be normal again."

I felt my lower lip move out a bit, like a little kid. I turned and boarded the train before anyone could see my crying.