Prologue

The occasion of the Heaven Empress Bai Qian's birthday was a cause of excitement for immortals and gods alike.

"When was the last time there has been a celebration in the Nine Heavens?"

Everybody agreed that it had been far too long. Under the previous Heaven Emperor not five would pass before there was some large party or banquet, but since the Crown Prince Ye Hua had ascended the throne, the spending and extravagances of the Nine Heavens had been notably scaled back.

"The new Heaven Emperor is much too serious," The Immortals would often lament one to the other. "Even though he's young, he's a perfectionist by nature and severe with mistakes or incompetence. Serving him is not nearly as easy as the previous Tianjun."

"But the renown and glory currently enjoyed by the Nine Heavens are also unprecedented. We have the Heaven Emperor to thank for that."

"True, true, but tell me, have you ever seen him smile?"

The Immortals went around shaking their heads until a young immortal, a qilin who guarded the gate to the Inner Court and who just happened to be walking by, spoke up. "I see him smile all the time."

The Immortals all professed disbelief.

"Surely he does." The young man insisted. "Every time I open the gate and he catches sight of the Heaven Empress dancing among the Peach Blossom trees in the front courtyard."

He hadn't even finished speaking before being overwhelmed with more questions. "The Heaven Empress? You've seen the Heaven Empress?"

"Is she as beautiful as the stories make her out to be? I wasn't invited that time she was welcomed to the Nine Heavens or to their wedding."

"Does she really have nine tails? Are they visible when she walks?"

"Has she really planted peach trees all over the the Inner Court? I've heard it looks like a forest in many areas! The Heaven Emperor must truly dote upon her, to let her have her way with everything."

"What about-"

The poor young man threw up his hands. "Peace, peace." He said. "You shall see her at the party and you can make up your own minds."

So they concluded the conversation by agreeing that they were all very excited for the upcoming party.

***

Mo Yuan, the Master of Mount Kunlun and the only War God in existence, was reading in his study when his First Disciple Die Feng came bearing the invitation from Tiangong, the Heaven Palace, to a celebration for Bai Qian's birthday.

"Seventeen gave it to me herself," He explained as the Second Disciple brought tea. "As you know I was at the Palace with my father who was called to a counsel with the Heaven Emperor. Anyway when we came out, Seventeen was standing right outside the hall. I can't describe how excited all the Ministers got when they saw her. It's funny to think our little Seventeen is now such a big deal in Heaven." He laughed loudly. "Anyway apparently she doesn't go to the Outer Court much. The Heaven Emperor said, Why didn't you just come in? And Seventeen replied, Your assemblies are so long and boring, I would fall asleep. All those flowery polite greetings and hundred different bows for different ranks - I just can't keep track of them. They make my head hurt.

He laughed again, taking a sip from his tea. "I really don't know what kind of husband and wife they are. Anyway she gave me a big stack of invitations for everyone, all the disciples are invited and of course you too, Shifu. She asked if you would come and I said of course you would, no reason not to, and she was very happy and excited. She said she hadn't seen you for a long time and missed you. You are coming right, Shifu?"

Mo Yuan, who throughout the whole exchange, had motionlessly stared down at the placard bearing the name Heaven Empress, Bai Qian. He recalled himself. He said evenly, "Just as you said, no reason not to."

There was in fact a very good reason not to but as it could not be said out loud he could not rely upon it.

***

The day of the party brought with it all the music, alcohol, food and dancing girls that the Immortals of the Nine Heavens could have wished for and more. Not only that but the object of their fervent curiosity was on full display, wearing a lavender and white dress with a face that one Immortal drunkenly described "So beautiful it will make the moon fall out of the sky with shame".

Mo Yuan was seated next to Bai Zhen and the other had spent the evening asking him questions about wars and battles from before he was born, so much so that Seventeen, when she'd stopped by at various points to drink with them, had interrupted, "Are you trying to bore my Shifu to sleep?" She had plonked herself down between them as she spoke, half leaning against her brother. Still she was very close and very warm, staring up at him with her large dark eyes.

"Shifu what's wrong?" She asked. "You look a bit strange. Is everything okay?"

His mouth had dried up, his heart thudded with the hooves of a thousand horses. But the next moment her gaze slid past him and she frowned.

"Hang on a minute." She said. "I'll be right back."

He'd turned to watch her make her way to her niece, Bai Feng Jiu, resplendent in red and pink, was receiving the attentions of yet another admirer. This one was particularly voracious in his attentions, having dropped to his knees in his drunken-ness and grasped the red nine tailed fox's hands.

There was a sound of someone breaking ceramic. He turned back only to look into Bai Zhen's knowing eyes. Somewhere behind him, up on the dais, the maids were making a fuss because Donghua Dijun had broken a wine cup.

"Not drunk yet?" The voice belonged to Zhe Yan who stopped in front of them. The high god threw back his hair and sat down in front of them. "You two are probably the only ones here. That won't do. Here try this."

Without seeking his permission Zhe Yan uncorked the bottle he was holding. Mo Yuan moved to stop him but Zhe Yan shook him off. "You have to try it. This is my special new brew of peach blossom wine. I've weaved a little extra into it."

"A little extra?" Bai Zhen repeated suspiciously. "A little extra what?"

Zhe Yan tsked at him. "Zhen Zhen, why do you have to sound like you're doubting me all the time? Obviously it's something good. How should I put it?" He continued thoughtfully. "My wine always brings good dreams as you know but there's a little extra potency in these ones. Your dreams will be especially vivid and quite lengthy. Perhaps a whole lifetime, even."

"A whole lifetime in this cup?" Mo Yuan stared down into it.

"Or perhaps a different lifetime. Wherever your dreams want to take you." The old Immortal had a knowing smirk on his face.

He looked back into the depths of the cup. The wine was a deep, dark red and faintly sweet.

A different lifetime. He lifted his arm and drank. How different things could have been.