seven minutes

Archie watches as the bottle spins, gradually slowing and stopping. He flinches when he looks up to meet the dark, tired eyes of his former friend.

"Jughead" Cheryl says, her ruby red lips curving into a viscous smile. Jughead looks like he wants a fight, and he wears a wry, taunting smile.

They enter the closet wordlessly, but as soon as the door is closed Jughead speaks

"Bet you wish you got Veronica instead, huh?" There's something challenging and dangerous about his face "She the next person who's wandered into your line of vision? I mean it sure is a good thing someone new moved here, or you might run out of girls" Archie swallows, hard.

"What are you even doing here, Jughead, you hate parties" He says in a  attempt to change the subject, the dark haired boy shrugs

"Observing" he replies cryptically

"Right. Okay." Archie says, exasperated with Jughead vague answer and pulls out his phone and checks the time.

"It's a little bit funny" Jughead says "That this is how we meet again, a kissing game? Y'know since you kissed me – several times, actually – this summer, and then didn't speak to me afterwards" Archie grits his teeth and clenches his fists at his sides

"Listen, Jug, I'm sorry okay" he says, trying to keep his tone even "But sometimes, in the real world, people kiss other people and it doesn't mean anything" It's a feeble attempt at an excuse and an even feebler apology. Jughead shakes his head, and and laughs, his laugh is raw and bitter and it frightens Archie more than he cares to admit, and then without warning Jughead draws his arm back and before Archie can react his fist collides with his nose, with a sickening crack blood gushes down his face and Archie doubles over.

"Shit" he curses, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his jacket "Dude" he glances up at Jughead, he looks wolfish and without a hint of remorse. They lock eyes and stare each other down, then Archie snaps and lunges at the other boy, he had  his arm wound back and ready to hit Jughead but half way there he decides push him against the back wall of the closet, then he kisses him, it's rough and angry and tastes like Archie's warm, wet blood.

The kiss feels violent, more than any physical harm Archie could impart.

He expects Jughead to pull away, but instead he sinks into it, threading his fingers through Archie's hair and opening his mouth to give Archie better access.

When they break apart Jughead has blood smudged across his face and they're both panting for breath.

He feels like all of the fight has left him and instead of the taut, electric rage he just feels exhausted. When their eyes meet Archie can see that the challenging, taunting anger has faded entirely from Jughead's face.

"You can't just go around kissing people and then not speak to them, Arch. Maybe for you that's isn't that big of a deal, but it's not like that with me" Jughead's eyes are closed and his voice is just sad, like his energy faded with his rage. Archie shakes his head.

"I know, that was a really stupid thing to say. When I kissed you, Jug, it didn't mean nothing okay? I was– or I am just really confused" Jughead doesn't reply for a minute.

"It's–" he begins, and for a moment Archie thinks he's going to forgive him "You hurt me, Archie, and I don't know if I can trust you again" It feels like someone's punched him in the stomach, and he slumps against the wall.

"I'm really sorry, Jug" is all he can think to say and then he confesses what he's been itching to say since that summer "I think– I really like you and I really like kissing you. And I don't even know if you like boys– hell I don't even know if I like boys, it's just–"

"Confusing?" Jughead finishes for him, Archie nods and after a moment Jughead says "I do, for the record" to which the red head looks at him, puzzled "I do like boys. And I do like you, but I'm worried that you'll freak out on me again"

"I wish I could promise that I wouldn't" Archie says "Its all so new and kind of scary"

"It's okay" Jughead says

  "Friends, for now?"

   "I-"

There's a knock on the door and Veronica's voice floats into the closet.

"Times up" She calls "You two done in there?"

"Uh, yeah" Archie answers, attempting to wipe the blood from his face. The door swings open and she raises an eyebrow at the blood that they haven't managed to clean completely. To her credit, she remains silent.

"So" Archie begins once he's sure Veronica can't hear them "Let me buy you a burger?" They both know there's a lot more to the question than what's on the surface, Jughead doesn't speak for an agonizingly long amount of time but when he does it's with a weak, yet genuine smile

"Well, you know I never pass up free food" he said, and as they leave the house, the party still buzzing behind them Archie can feel that even though things are far from alright, Jughead and him will figure things out.

( A/N: Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy here I am back w/ a short melodramatic jarchie oneshot. I hope you enjoyed it!! )