Chapter 1

I pushed open the classroom door with trembling hands, my head spinned like there were thousand stars above me. "I –I'm back, any welcome hug?" In my blurred vision, I managed to see my hazel-haired friend, who was clutching her pile of books heading towards the locker. I put my weight on the trusty desk beside me. With wobbly steps, I took a step closer to her, trying my best to gain her attention. "What do you think you are doing here?" she blamed. "I...I have to catch up what I lost during my sick leave, you know, class stuff, good relationship with classmates... After all, I missed the first week of school..." Suddenly, a throb of pain occured, so painful that it felt like someone was hitting me with a stock over again. I held the corner of the desk for support and shot her a weak smile. Immediately, she placed her back of her hand on my forehead." Gosh, look how weak you are! Didn't I tell you to comeback after you've gotten better? You have to go home right now. "she held my wrist and head for the corridor, I yanked it away. "But- what about class stuff, I'm sure I could continue school. Come on, I can't possibly leave like that," I whined " No excuses. A no is a no. Home. Now." One word command is the worst, I have no choice but to follow. I lowered my head and pouted, " Yes, mom. "

Without even saying a simple hi to my new classmates, I was dismissed for another week because of my illness.

"Life is unfair," I muttered. " Useless, useless, useless. Why do I have to get sick on every single important event. Such a weakling I am. " I sighed, adjusting the cooling plaster on my forehead . You can't understand how badly I wanted to go to school, to meet new friends, to learn some more, to daydream some more. " Kate, honey," my mother knocked on the door. " Are you feeling better now? Someone from school's calling, can you manage to answer it, or you want me to do the job for you?" " No, it's fine. I'll get it." I pushed away the thick pile of blankets and walked down the stairs.

"Hello? "

A disembodied voice came from the phone, filled with warmth and concern. I couldn't see him, but yet I could imagine his soft figure appeared before me. " It's Bryant Stern speaking. And I hope to send you blessing on behalf of the class. Get well soon. " The world around me seem to stop, only me and him, and the phone between us. I cupped the speaker of the phone, hoping to hear from it again. His lingering voice made my ears flushed. I wish I could see him. "Tomorrow, "I said without second thought. "I'll be back tomorrow," I ensured him. I hung up the phone without a polite goodbye while an unfamiliar excitement rushed through me. I'm going to meet the guy with super infuriating sexy voice, I squealed inside my head.

The next morning, I was in absolute thrill, I skipped along the corridor humming my favourite tune. The sun seemed to shine much brighter, the sky seemed to be painted with a lighter shade of blue. I surveyed the school through the glittering glass window. I am currently in the teaching building, where all classrooms are located. Whereas the second building, is where all the activities room located : the art room with a huge dome and endless supplies, the basketball court where boys compete, the woodwork room where the teacher's eyes haunt you 24/7. The ivory walls of the building was covered with plants which has overgrown and started to crawl. The colors of the plants did spice up those plain, soft-colored walls, I thought to myself.

Soft, just like Bryant's voice.

My heart beates faster and faster. Where can he be?

And that was when my face came into contact with a firm chest, "Hey, you okay? I'm so-" My heart tingled at his voice. I couldn't have mistaken, it must be him. I looked up and come face to face- with a paper bag?!