Travel writing- The Twin Towers

# a man

A lone man towering above, stands alone in an empty shadow. He does not notice the rushing sea of people swarming around him, trying to get about their day. Nor does he notice the surge of chaotic traffic perambulating before him. His gaze falls across the endless skyline of tall buildings, buildings which possess such beautiful architecture, that a common New Yorker takes for granted. His eyes reflect two colossal buildings, the mother and father of New York. Standing strong and tall, almost as if they were indestructible. Staring at the foreboding site- the empty space- as if they were going to re-appear. They were gone.

In the distance a low hum of an airplane echo’s around the streets of New York, barely audible over the roar of the city. No one noticed the plane except for the lone man; his head snapped towards the sound, following the rumble of the engine. However there was no sound of a plane, just the noise of New York playing in the back of his head. A gasp was uttered from someone next to the man who had also just heard the plane. In a second the explosion happened, the plane had flown into one of the towers. All noise seamed to drown out, as more people saw the catastrophe. Suicide.

Then the plane was gone, no longer there; just a relentless memory.

Fumes of the burning building engulf the surrounding area, flooding the man’s nose. A poisonous gas threatening to kill you from the inside out, slowly and painfully. The man was hallucinating again; the only poisonous gas was the fumes emitted from the million taxi cabs. The potent aroma of burning flesh mixed with the plume of building dust creating to a deadly concoction, ready for suffocation. A nightmare.

A lump was stuck at the back of the man’s through, a lump of fear, unable to be swallowed down. Horror, panic, distress formed a cold metallic taste unable to be swallowed away. Its fear.

The echoing bang of dead bodies rained down, falling with such speed the brutal wind would tear any vital gasps of air from their mouths. It’s just a ghost of a memory. The desperate cries for help scream in the man’s ear, making him fall to his knees, trapped with the haunting noise. But no one stops. No one stares.

# the twin towers

They can feel themselves crumbling.  Their bodies weakening, unable to carry the weight of the 57 floors above. The airplanes were now 5 floors of lions. Lions that destroy anything, everything in their paths. Computers containing, important information was now a mess of melted plastic that had been demolished just like the 1000 other computers. The flames engulfed the living bodies, burning them till nothing remains, and moved on to the next victim. The towers knew what was happening, but could not do anything about it. It was like a plague inside, untameable, it doesn’t matter how many firemen they sent inside with a death wish label on their foreheads. The two seas of people contradicting each other. Some people died from being stood on, others died from banging their heads when being shoved. But there was nothing the towers could do. Helpless.

# Woman inside the second tower

She felt the tower shift first. It was like there was an earthquake that ran through the middle of the tower. But this was no earthquake. Out of the window she saw the other tower collapse, and knew the same fate awaited her. Pealing the photo from her chest, the woman smiled and kissed the picture of her husband and child. Never taking her eyes of the picture she knew the build was collapsing, the screams were muted from the noise of the building falling. The windows cracked and shattered first, sending arrows of glistening shards of glass into her body, like a thousand tiny daggers.  The wind and dust blew into her hair messing the perfectly styled hair.  A beam from the celling fell knocking the woman out of the shattered window.  The wind tore up her shirt, ripping the buttons apart with force. Her breaths slowed, until she was fighting for air against the brutal wind. But she felt so graceful, like a white dove in a scene of destruction. As she was falling, she could see her death. It embraced her, like a hug from an old friend. Clinging on to the photo, the woman smiled as she was falling...