Chapter 1

Joker watched in utter dismay as his enemy and (little did Batman/Bruce know it) love of his life beams the Phantom Zone projector at himself. His eyes tear up on their own, without his consent, blue tears streaming down and digging chasms into his cheeks.
'No, no...' he thinks to himself, almost willing the sky to....be made of glass, and for Batman to smack into it and come back down to him; for Phillis to say that he can stay, and let himself and his one-and-only anything stay together in whatever form they do.

But no such thing happens. Both Batman and Bruce Wayne, this to Joker's knowledge, float away and dissapear into the swirling sky, as the portal closes and leaves everyone below in the lowest spirits imaginable.

Like zombies, they hang their heads, hearts as heavy as can be, and stumble off, trying to see past the river of tears they all leave in the pavement.

Joker can't believe this. He won't. Batman may have promised Phillis, but he should know never to break a promise that he makes to Joker. That's never ended well for him before.

"When I get my hands on him, I'm gonna......"
He looks back and sees Harley, scooting wimpily in her rollerskates. He runs back to her and grabs her wrist, pulling her close so her sad face is looking into Joker's desperate eyes.
"Harley. You have to help me." His voice is filled with longing and broken dreams.

Harley looks into his eyes as well.
"I'm sorry, Mr. J....he's gone."
"He's not DEAD, Harley! I wasn't dead when I was sent there! All we have to do is get the Projector and-"
Harley puts her hand over his mouth.
"........Say no more. Let's do this. I barely even know him, but I know how much he means to you, and to everyone here. So, operation 'Back In Black'?"

Joker bites his lip and nods, rubbing a tear away roughly, before looking at her with his eyes so full of hope they could burst.

"Okay. Our first stop: Superman."