Goodbye

A/N- Sorry this is so short; it's just some really depressing stuff I wrote.

You say goodbye all the time, but you never know which one is last

Sobs racked his body as he bent over her now lifeless figure, sprawled across the pavement. He stared at her eyes that had once been full of life, now void and empty of any emotion, their sparkle no longer there. He couldn't bear to see them any longer. Tears streaming down his face, he gently closed her eyes for the last time, knowing they would never open again. Her vibrant hair shone in the fading sunlight, splayed around her face, her full pink lips forming a peaceful smile. He shut his eyes, only to find another kind of pain; memories.

 They played across his mind, every single moment he had memorized in perfection. He gasped, opening his eyes quickly at the jolt the memories sent through his body. He clung to her lifeless body, as if his tears could bring her back. Nothing could save her now. He inhaled slowly, taking in the scent of roses that still persisted, though her mind and soul had already been torn away. Another wave of tears pricked at his eyes as he committed the scent to memory. Her memory.

  He clutched her hand tightly, the walls he'd built around his regret and despair beginning to crumble as the bitter emotions flooded his soul. If he had just stayed with her, noticed her...shown her she was loved...He shook such thoughts away, trying to erase them from his mind forever. He could not; they stuck to him yet still, refusing to loosen their hold, making his pain only harder to bear. All those feelings he'd hidden, pushed down, repressed...all for her sake. All so she would stay with him and what was it for? Nothing, he realized, as he gazed upon her still figure. His efforts were all for naught, a foolish drive to hide the truth when he should have been opening the doors to his soul. Instead he'd tried to push her out, block her from his heart. Somehow she'd still managed to slip through the cracks, becoming the center of his thoughts and actions.

  If he'd only confessed the emotions that plagued him so deeply, he would at least have some closure in knowing how or if those feelings were returned. He turned his head away, craning it to see the sun sinking low on the horizon, the darkness soon to engulf this world that now lay in ruins. This was the final chapter; the closing of a great story. This was an end to legacy that he had hoped would be permitted to persist for much longer than it had. Her life had been cut off abruptly, torn away while it was still blooming. Her world had been shattered, her breath stolen from her in a moments time. He got up, picking her limp body up as he rose. The darkness would not touch her, of that he was determined to make sure. He would give her a proper ceremony; one last farewell. A final parting. This was to be the last goodbye.

"Goodbye," He whispered in her ear, knowing she would never hear.  

The clock will stop,

it's at its end.

A new chapter,

will soon begin.

A final act,

upon the stage.

Before this life,

gets swept away.