Black Mesa East

Black Mesa East

There was a loud thud as D.0.G. launched his ball off into the distance, several stories under the ground at Black Mesa East.

"Huh? What was that?" Alyx said, worriedly.

Gordon simply stared at her blankly.

"Scanners... The combine are sweeping the area! We've gotta head inside! C'mon Gordon!"

Gordon said nothing, and ran for the door at which they entered. Alyx was behind him, followed by D.0.G. They began the scanning process, but it took to long. D.0.G. passed them and ripped the metal door open as if it was a sheet of paper. Gordon and Alyx ran down the long hall, only glancing at the ominous entrance to Ravenholm, the old mining town that has since been abandoned, due to the invasion of headcrabs. They continued down the hall. 

Alyx made her way in front of Gordon, and the cracking of concrete could be heard. All of the sudden, the ceiling between Alyx and Gordon caved in, and they were trapped. Gordon had never visited the facility, and from where he was at, he knew that there was only one exit.

"Gordon, you need to get out of here," Alyx insisted. "I can't leave my father. D.0.G., take Gordon to the Ravenholm tunnel, then circle around and try to meet up with me. Hurry!"

Gordon and D.0.G. ran to the Ravenholm exit, and D.0.G. pried the doors open. He really had a knack for that. Gordon continued down the dark hallway, filled with signs of warning and objects barricading the exits. Gordon had a bad feeling about the events to come.

 Alyx continued down the hallway, and she finally reached the lab that Eli and Judith were in. 

"Dad!" 

Eli Vance was being detained by three Combine Overwatch soldiers. Oddly enough, the Combine didn't seem at all concerned about Judith. "Serves her right," Alyx thought to herself, smugly. This was no time for comedy, the Combine were invading the Lab!

"Alyx!" Eli shouted,"Get out of here!"

This caused two of the combine that were trying to capture Eli to turn to Alyx. They drew their weapons, both Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifles, but they were too slow. Alyx already had here Magnum drawn, and she placed two shots in their heads, splattering blood over the humming and whirring instruments in Eli's lab. She was about to shoot the soldier who was detaining Eli, but several more Combine burst through the door to her left. The hallway behind them was riddled with Vortigaunt carcasses. Her only choice was to flee.

She turned to exit Eli's lab, and she looked back at her father. She felt a tear well up in her eye.

"Alyx! You have to go!" Her father shouted.

"But Da-"

"Alyx. I love you. I'll see you soon."

She was about to say goodbye to her father, but was cut off by combine chatter coming from behind her. As she turned to leave, she couldn't help but notice that Mossman had a sly smile across her face. She turned and bolted for the door. She knew that down the hallway was an escape elevator that she knew the combine would not have touched.

It seemed like she had waited for ages when the old service elevator finally reached the building above Black Mesa East. She opened the door, and it was already night out. A Hunter Chopper flew past her with its searchlight on. She was lucky that it didn't see her. The encounter really scared her, and she could feel moisture under her arms. She took a minute to catch her breath, and let out a deep sigh. She was determined. She was going to rescue Eli. 

She looked around and noticed that Gordon's airboat was parked where he left it, completely untouched. (Besides a headcrab that she beat to death on sight.)

"A machine gun. Nice."

She went and opened the large doors to get out of the canal, and she could hear the whirr of a scanner nearby. She got in the airboat and headed for the now open doors.

"I am going to find you, Dad." She sped off down the canal, headed for Highway 17.