Will you be my valentine?

Chapter 1- I Would Love to be Your Valentine

Dean resisted the urge to bury his face in his hands in frustration, but at the last moment he remembered that they were currently covered in some dead guy’s blood. He glanced down at the heart laying in the plastic tray and took an experimental poke at it, as if that would give him any answers. It wasn’t that dead things grossed him out, it was just that he never usually stuck around long enough to be actually holding  some guy’s heart in his hands. It only made matters worse that today was Valentine’s day, the one day in the year where friggin’ everything was plastered with red and pink hearts, and all the tv stations would play were sappy romantic comedies and such. 

The very thought of it all almost made him want to commit mass genocide. Usually the holiday wasn’t all terrible, but this year it was only made worse by the fact that he wouldn’t be able to go to some bar and pick up a slightly insecure, dateless girl for the night. Sam would pull the bitchface of the century if he even thought of ditching out of this case. Not when it involved Lucifer and the whole apocalypse thing. 

Suddenly he could hear the telltale rustle of wings in front of him and he glanced up quickly to see his familiar angel standing there. Sam must have told Cas where Dean was, because apparently he shouldn’t be able to find him with the whole artistry the angel carved on his ribs. 

“Hello Dean,” Cas’s usual gravel seemed almost pronounced now, which only really seemed to happen when the angel was nervous about something. Just his awkward expression alone was enough to set Dean off in a slight chuckle, which only made the angel seem more confused than usual. 

“Hey Cas.”

“I do not understand, what’s so funny? Did I say something?” Cas’s brow furrowed in a lost puppy sort of way and for some reason, Dean found that incredibly adorable, even though he really shouldn’t be having those sort of thoughts about another guy. 

“Nothing, I think I might just be tired.” He made up a quick lie which Castiel seemed to accept easily enough. 

“Oh, well that’s understandable. Have you found anything odd with the body?” 

“Well I have been staring at this heart for the past half hour and all I can see are these strange markings carved into the muscle.” 

Cas nodded and without hesitation he took out the long cold organ and held it up close to his face, examining it carefully. He placed the heart back in the tray after a moment and slid it over to Dean. “These are the marks of a cupid. The couple must have been placed under a spell before death.” 

Dean nodded and suddenly his face split into a cheeky grin. He slid the tray across the table to the angel with the tips of his fingers and wiggled his eyebrows in a mock seductive manner. “Hey Cas, wanna be my Valentine.”

Castiel looked down at the offering, his entire face crinkling with confusion. “I do not understand, what is a Valentine?” 

Dean sighed, he should have known that he wouldn’t get it. It wasn’t exactly like the angel was up to date on much to do with humans, and he always missed out on Dean’s genius puns. Luckily, he wasn’t in a completely terrible mood anymore so he bothered to elaborate. 

“It’s a sort of tradition. You know, for us human types. A Valentine is supposed to be like your sweetheart or some bullshit like that. That’s what the entire holiday is about, love.”

After a moment, and before Dean even got the chance to add that he was joking, Cas spread out into the widest smile that Dean had ever seen and those blue eyes sparkled, which just made Dean question his own sexuality for even thinking that way.