11.

11.

I woke up with a frightened start.

The darkness was meant to help with the mind. If you were sleeping, none of the memories could touch you like they did when you were awake. The nightmares were just nightmares, the thoughts were the one's which kept you up at night. Real memories; real pain to feel.

As my heart beated harshly against my chest, I looked over at the time. It read three in the morning. With two hours sleep already, I felt groggy and my eye lids were heavy with the need to sleep.

I could smell Nick surrounding my senses. It calmed me down enough to gather my thoughts, however, all I wanted to do was sleep. Every time I closed my eye lids, the memories of what had happened came flying back.

I had spent years trying to forget and only one night had set me off in to space.

I didn't ever want to feel the way I did before.

With a new set of panic to the little girl I was before, I quickly scrambled out of bed in search for Nick.

I didn't know where he was or why he wasn't in bed asleep with me. I felt relieved I had him right now, he had taken extra care with me tonight especially when he was working.

Nick was like that, he didn't care what he was doing, he'd do anything for the people he cared about. Surprisingly, with the worrying thoughts in my mind, I still managed to smile. The thought of Nick caring for me when he really didn't have to made me feel all kinds of happy and giddy.

He didn't know how much it meant to me.

I padded through his hall and down to the living room. I couldn't hear a thing but the quiet background noise of the TV.

Finally, I saw Nick. He was sat on his sofa with his feet kicked back on to the coffee table; his usual position. He looked so relaxed from behind but as I rounded the coffee table, I came face to face with the haunted face of Nick Abel. The eye bags were prominent even through the human eye, his face contorted in to a frown.

A small note pad laid on his thighs and his hand moved quickly as he scribbled notes down on to a page. He hadn't realised I was there.

"Nick." My voice came out to gather his attention. He didn't stop his writing, but his eyes flickered to mine. His bright eyes were dull with tiredness, his eyes telling me just how shaken up he really was.

Was it because of what happened earlier?

"What's the matter?" I asked. I stood there in only one of his T-shirts and he hadn't even suggested anything. Even though the thought made me frown, I was secretly glad. I didn't think I was ready for that yet, especially when the memories were so raw.

With that, I slowly approached him, gauging his mood. His eyes followed my body around the coffee table and he leaned back in his seat as soon as I was perched on to his lap. I laid my head against his chest and curled in to a ball.

After a few seconds, Nick sighed and two large arms came around to wrap around my body.

"You're not acting like yourself." I stated. I wanted him to talk to me. I wanted to know what was really going on throughout his mind.

"You shouldn't be worrying about me." He came back. His voice was rough but it still held that authority and power it always did. It was also gentle, too, like he was talking to a child.