Chapter 1: I was going to marry him

Monday, 17 October

Anna Collings tapped her fingers on the wooden bar of the coffee shop counter. She glanced at the digital clock on the cash register in front of her. 7:07am. She played with the lose thread of her bar apron, tugging it off with frustration when the door chimed announcing that a customer has entered. A smile formed on her face and she felt her cheeks flush. 7:08am. It has been about 2 months now that she has been looking forward to the same exact time, Mondays through Fridays, hoping to see the man who is now approaching her. He brushed his hand on his golden blonde hair just above his shoulder, combing it to the back of his head from habit.

"Top of the morning Anna! The usual please." his eyes beamed as he spoke.

"To go with the usual avo toast too? Dylan..." his name rolled off from her tongue in the most awkward way possible. She actually didn't mean to speak his name, it just came out right from her mind - where it was just supposed to be.

"Oh not today. Having brunch with the man I've been wooing for 2 months now." he said casually.

So he's into men, Anna thought to herself. She should have known better. No wonder he hasn't asked her out yet. Not that she's implying that he already should have since he's basically just a regular customer who happens to be a fan of Anna's brewed coffee. Suddenly all the dreams she's built with Dylan in it came crashing down, swept by the hurricane of truth.

"I've been working so hard to close this deal with my biggest investor." Dylan followed through.

Anna breathe in a sigh of relief and slowly rebuilding her dreams with Dylan at the back of her mind. She was halfway through naming their future children when she noticed the coffee overflowing from the cup burning her hand. "Ack!" why can't she be more feminine in times like this instead of making seal-like sounds.

"Everything alright?" Dylan asked with genuine concern in his voice.

"Yeah definitely! Never better. Uh just hold on, 1 second." she pointed her index finger at Dylan and quickly made her way to the sink running cold water on her burnt hand.

Dylan leaned over the counter curious of Anna's abrupt actions.

"Clumsy me," Anna shrugged laughing at her clumsiness, "don't worry, I'll live. It's far from the heart."

She poured another cup for Dylan and this time made sure that her concentration is aimed right at the coffee pouring and not at the beautiful creature in front of her.

"On the house!" she said in high pitch, as she handed him the cup, flashing him her biggest brightest smile.

"No Anna, I'm assuming I'm your first customer so nope, not gonna happen."

"Please, I insist. It's me wishing you luck!" she said as she checked for the time. She would like to keep their conversation going but she knows Dylan has got to run.

Dylan placed his hand to his chest. "Thank you Anna, I owe you one! Once this deal's signed and sealed, I'll take you out for dinner and I wouldn't accept no for an answer."

Anna's ears were about to explode from the loud noise her heart was making. "Come back with a good news!"

Dylan made his way out, carrying the most charming smile Anna had ever seen. It was official, she's head over heels in love with the beautiful stranger, with hopes that the feeling is mutual. Dylan glanced at her one last time, waving as he stepped out of the coffee shop.

. . .

"Don't you have anything to share with me today?" Alex, her gay best friend, pried.

Anna ignored the man in front of her, too engrossed with her dough kneading.  It was already late in the afternoon and the crowd had already died down.