Prologue: The Journal of Simon Petrikov

7/4/XXXX

Dear journal,

Ever since the discovery of the book, something has been bothering me terribly: Betty's down in the dumps. We'll be married in a few months, and I want to make every moment a happy one for the both of us. I'll be returning home in two days, which should give me some time to find something for my princess.

7/5/XXXX

Dear journal,

Most of my day involved walking around the markets and stores, looking up locations in the newspapers and going everywhere in town. I have seen so many interesting trinkets, yet none of them seem to help me in my search. I had given up hope until I went to the port, where I heard they made great fish dishes. While looking through the newspapers for the fifteenth time, a local fisherman and his friend walked by in deep conversation. I didn't hear every detail, but I managed to pick out 'voyage', 'Scandinavia' and 'trinkets'. So, I asked the gentlemen what they found in Northern Scandinavia and soon found myself face-to-face with the perfect item: a golden crown. It was slightly tacky, but...something made me want to buy it. Note to self: spending 50 coins on something unremarkable is something not to do ever again. I mean, it was worth at least 15, for crying out loud!

7/7/XXXX

Journal,

Everything's ruined. I've messed everything up horribly. After I got home yesterday, I put the crown on for Betty. My plan was to make goofy faces and act silly, but that never happened. Instead, the crown...it started talking to me. It whispered to me horrible thoughts, showed be terrible things, tormented me no matter how much I argued with it! When I finally took the crown off...Betty lay cowering in the corner, tears streaming from her eyes. Something scared her. Whatever happened while I wore the crown, it must have terrified her. When she finally calmed down, she called off the wedding. Today, all I've done is stayed miserable. She hasn't answered any of my calls, she didn't go to work today and I know that it was all because of me. On a side note, there has recently been talk of war. Things are truly terrible.

7/11/XXXX

Journal,

The war has started. I'm not sure who we're going to war against, but I fear it will ravage the lands. But for me, that is not the most worrying part. A day after my last journal entry, I put on the crown again. It told me that it would protect me from the frost. I'm unsure what it could mean at the present, but it may be the cause of what's been happening lately. This morning, I awoke to find myself a changed man: my hair is starting to grow at an unnatural rate and turn grey, I'm suddenly growing a beard despite the fact that I can't even grow a moustache and my skin...is turning blue. I'm awaiting test results from a doctor, to see what's happening to me.

7/16/XXXX

Journal,

The results came this morning. Strangely, nothing seems to be wrong with me. However, the doctor noted that my body temperature has decreased. I'm guessing this is to do with the crown. I don't dare think of wearing the crown again. On second thoughts, I will film myself, in order to find out what happens when influenced by the crown. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

7/17/XXXX

Journal

It's worse than I thought. After playing back the footage, I've seen the full extent of it's powers. My hair and nose grows longer, my skin turns a brighter shade of blue, but most of all, I am a completely different person. It is as if I am a great architect, trapped within an unrecognisable part of a building of his design. That's not all. I think I understand what the crown meant. While under the item's influence, I can manipulate the ice and snow. Even though it has been a few days, the war is raging on terribly. Hopefully, it won't spiral out of control. But then again, I tend to jinx anything that I say at this current time.

7/29/XXXX

It has been quite some time since my last entry, Gunter. No, I mean journal! My condition is getting worse. A few days ago, I asked one of my colleagues if he could help monitor my condition while wearing the crown. I regret it. After my friend's assistant took off the crown, I saw for myself the horrors my other self can create. The scientific instruments were sealed in ice, snow fell from the ceiling, and my friend... Oh god... He's frozen in ice. He died half an hour later, despite our efforts of trying to break the ice. This crown is more than a curse. It is now a weapon of mass destruction, one that could herald the end of life. Everything, trapped in the ice. If I ever hurt someone while I wear this crown, I want them to know that I am sorry, that I do it against my will. I'm scared. The crown told me something. I would be the one to see the end. I'm terrified of myself.

8/6/XXXX

I have seen pure horror.

The war spiralled out of control, further than it should have done. I saw them die. The enemy dropped a bomb on the city. I don't know how I survived, maybe it was the crown. My plan for now is to gather supplies around the ruins of the city, find a way to get out and save myself. On top of that, I will NEVER wear my crown unless I need to. What I don't understand is why the name Gunter is stuck in my brain. Maybe it's yet another side effect of the crown's powers. I just hope I'm not the only one alive.

8/9/XXXX

After three days of exploring the ruins of my home, I found a fellow survivor.

While walking through the streets, I saw a young girl crying in the middle of the road. I assume she is seven years old. To stop her crying, I gave her a toy monkey.

"Hello, I'm Simon. Who may you be?"

The child took nearly a minute to reply before she said anything. 

"M-Marceline. I can't find my parents, Simon..."

I was sorry for her. I had lost my ex-fiancée Gunter- No, Betty! Marceline, however, lost her parents, something which was irreplaceable for anyone. I had to do something.

"Hey, Marcy, I have an idea. How would you like to come with me? I'll protect you. Besides, it's dangerous to be alone these days."

She was hesitant, but agreed to the idea.