Promise?

Its been 36 hours and 53 minutes since the Rangers defeated Rita and saved Angel Grove plus the rest of the world from what seemed like impending doom. They were safe. All of them. But Trini still couldn't sleep. She was lucky if she got two hours since Rita broke into her house. Sure, Trini toughed it out for the sake of the others but on the inside she was crumbling.

With a heavy sigh, Trini glanced at the clock. "Shit." She swore, rubbing her eyes as she pulled back the covers and got out of bed. Trini quickly got dressed and walked outside, not knowing where exactly she was going to go at two in the morning, but she was fully aware of the simple fact that there was no way she could be in her room any longer. Not when if she closed her eyes and could still smell the damp, decaying odor that Rita left behind on her visit.

Fifteen minutes passed, and Trini found herself at her usual spot in the quarry. For some reason she kept going. After another fifteen minutes, Trini was climbing a tree that led to the window of Kimberly's room.

There was a moment of hesitation, a split second of doubt before Trini knocked ever so slightly. Kimberly didn't even stir. Nothing. Sighing Trini knocked a bit louder, this time waking her fellow ranger.

"What the... Trini?" Kimberly asked incredulously as she climbed out of bed and opened the window. "Trini what are you doing here? Its almost three in the morning. Are you alright?"

Trini hesitated before lithely jumping into Kimberly's room. She took a look around before setting her backpack. "Couldn't sleep" She offered so gruffly, not really in the mood for a lecture. "I can go if you want, I'm not sure why I came here anyway. Zack's probably up ill go bother him." Trini said as she turned her back to the window.

"Wait!" Kimberly exclaimed, grabbing Trini by the arm. "Wait, please." She repeated, much more gently. "You can stay. I was just surprised. Now I know how poor Jason felt when I broke into his house." Kimberly joked, not noticing the flash of Jealously that appeared in Trinis eyes.

"Well sorry to disappoint. I'm not some dreamy man here to whisk you away." Trini grumbled, her arms crossed.

"Well I wouldn't want that but that's besides the point. Come sit. Talk to me." Kimberly said as she sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to her. "You came here for a reason. So come sit with me and tell me what's up"

"I already told you." Trini mumbled, kicking her shoes off and sitting cross legged on Kimberly's bed. "I cant sleep. I haven't..." She trailed off, her eyes focused on her lap. " I haven't slept since Rita broke into my room."

Trini admitted clenching her hands into fists. "I cant get rid of that damned smell. I cant... I look at my wall and my ceiling and even though they're patched up now, I know what was there before. I almost died... the only reason she didn't kill me was because she thought I would betray you guys"

She gritted her teeth, her eyes welling up with tears. "And you know what... she was right. You guys still got hurt because of me. Billy... he died. Because of me. I should have just fought her of. I should have done something, Jason may have thought it was on him but when it comes down to it, I should've gone to that shipyard alone. She would have killed me anyways. And none of you would have been hurt. God Kim, I couldn't bear it of something happened to you." Trini whispered before she cleared her throat. " I mean, if something happened to any of you."

Kimberly just sat there in shock. She had no idea Trini was carrying this burden. She had no idea ho much Trini cared. The smaller girl in front of her was not the same one who jumped across a gorge just to get away from her.

"Rita was not right. And it was not your fault." Kimberly gently whispered as she took Trini's hand into her own. "You are not like her. And you're not going to every be like her. You're kind and selfless. And so strong. You are so brave, Trini. I am so lucky to have you in my life. We all are."

She smiled her eyes glistening as she tugged ever so softly on Trini's hands. "Lay down, lay with me and we'll get some sleep okay?" Kimberly asked, taking note of the uncertainty in Trini's eyes as they both laid back against the pillows.

Kimberly pulled the blankets around them and rolled onto her side so she could face Trini. "You didn't betray us. You didn't hurt us. You brought us together. Seeing what Rita did to you..." She trailed off gently running her fingers over the still healing scars on Trini's neck. "My mind was made up even before Jason gave us his little pep talk."

Trini swallowed hard as Kimberly continued to trace her fingers along her neck, goosebumps covering her body. She opened her mouth to talk but the words were lost on her tongue when she felt Kimberly's hand on her waist. Trini's eyes met Kimberly's and she felt a strong pull than when all five of them stood in that circle and morphed for the first time. "K-Kim.." She whispered shakily, knowing fully that Kimberly could feel this pull between them too.

"Shhhh." Kimberly murmured, her eyes never leaving Trini's as she pulled the smaller girl flush against her. she could feel Trini's heart racing against hers as she slowly dipped her hand beneath Trini's shirt so she could trace little patterns against her skin.

Trini's heart skipped a beat and she hoped Kimberly couldn't feel the way her body was shaking. "Kimberly I..." But Trini was cut off by a finger pressed against her lips. She couldn't form words if she tried at this point.

" I wont let anything happen to you." Kimberly whispered, her face not even an inch away from Trini's. "I wont let anyone hurt you ever again." She swore as she slowly closed the distance between them, her lips finding Trini's for a kiss so gentle. Kimberly didn't think it was possible.

The moment Kimberly's lips were on hers, Trini melted. She pressed herself impossibly closer to her friend as their kiss deepened. Trini's hand finds Kimberly's face and she cups her cheek gently. They break apart for a moment, their eyes still closed and both of them breathing shakily. Kimberly connects their lips for a second time, pulling Trini on top of her, her arms wrapped around the smaller girl as she melts against her.

Kimberly pulls away first. "Look at me." She whispered gently as she rubbed the back of Trini's back. "You are safe." Kimberly whispered, and Trini nodded as tears finally began to fall. "I'm here, I've got you." Kimberly said as she wiped Trini's tears away.

"I believe you." Trini choked out. "I don't know what to even say right now."

Kimberly smiled and pressed a kiss to Trini's forehead. "Don't say anything at all. We'll have plenty of time to talk this weekend. I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?" Trini asked in a small voice, breaking Kimberly's heart.

"I promise, beautiful."

Trini blushed at Kimberly's words and curled up against her. It didn't take long before they were out cold, the comfortable feeling of being in each others arms turned out to be all they needed to feel whole again.

~omg I love this story~ The ending put my gay heart in its feels.~