Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

1. Wyatt - Present Day

I'm sweating. Profusely. It's disgusting. I tug the collar of my freshly pressed shirt and loosen my tie. I'll tighten it just before I go on set.

Leaning forward on the couch, I take another drink of my water from the coffee table. Bottles of alcohol line the bar to the right. A sign encourages everyone to help themselves. There is nothing worse than wanting a drink, being surrounded by alcohol, and not being able to have one. I need to be sober for this. One way or another, Ellie's going to see this interview.

I grab some candy off the table and pop it into my mouth, chewing slowly. The green room is a weird shade of lime. Whenever I'm in a waiting room that's green I'm always disappointed. We're in a creative business, lime isn't creative it's just hard on my eyes. Jackson Billows, the late-night host of the program, probably thinks the color is hilarious.

I sigh and wiggle my back along the too stiff couch. Maybe I've been doing this whole scene too long. Few things in the business surprise me anymore. Of course, having this big of a stage, of a platform for what I'm about to do is certainly helpful. Surprises may be few and far between for me personally, but I can still deliver a couple.

"You're on in five, Mr. Burgess." A dark-haired man pops his head into the room.

I nod, but don't say anything. I check my phone again. The few people who know what I'm about to do are reluctantly on board. A last minute 'break a leg' text rolls in. I turn off my phone, readjust my tie and collar. My suit jacket is stifling, but she used to like me suited and booted. Every advantage is necessary. I'm about to blow up her life.

Ellie has been carefully coordinating her projects and schedule to avoid me for ten years. We've developed an unspoken agreement to keep each other and what happened to Isaac out of the press. That night and exactly what happened has remained a secret.

Jackson enters from the hidden side door. His secret exit and entrance from the main stage. "You alright, buddy?" He perches on a chair across from me.

"Sweating like a pig."

"It's been ten years, man. This will be great television, don't get me wrong, but Ellie is going to eat your nuts for breakfast tomorrow."

"I picked you for a reason, Jack, don't let me down." I drain the rest of my water and wish the liquid was something much stronger.

"I could have booked you both on the show. Left you here in the green room to sort out your issues in private." Jackson stands up.

"She'd have cancelled. Any time she's ever gotten wind I'm in the area, her cavalry rides to the rescue. I even flew to her damn island and—not one person—not one," I say holding up a finger, "would tell me where she lived."

He chuckles. "What makes you think she's going to take any notice of you this time?"

Certainty washes over me, and I smile. "She'll have no choice." I point to my phone. "I finally got her address. I'm heading to the airport as soon as this is done."

"Ten years and you're just going to show up on her doorstep? Do you really need the public spectacle first?"

My stomach clenches. He has a point, but if I go without the spectacle, she'll slam the door in my face. At least if the rest of the world wants to know the outcome, she'll have no choice but to answer to someone. That someone will be me. "I'm trying to make it impossible for her to say no."

"I hope that doesn't make it hard for her to say yes later." Jack arches his eyebrows.

Truthfully, I haven't thought that far in advance. All I've done is organize Operation Get Her to Talk to Me. The rest will just happen. A long time ago, I was her kryptonite. A weakness she couldn't help. God knows she's always been mine.

The doors split as we walk toward the set. He heads onto the stage, and I stand in the wings, waiting to make my entrance.

By midnight tonight, she'll know I'm done with our unspoken truce.

I'm coming for you, Ellie.

Jackson gives his rambling introduction, and I strut onto the stage, the crowd going wild, to take my seat. I flip out my jacket and wave to the audience as the screams die down.

Jackson's right about one thing; Ellie isn't going to take this well.