chapter 1-good old memories

-------------
Hi!I'm Gilbert I live with my mama and papa we were a big happy family my Mama is a Baker and my papa works as a miner .Everytime my papa comes home I always give him a big hug to get rid of the pain in his back.But one day while I was waiting for papa, I was worried because it was late..and papa was never late.I soon heard a knock on the door,I rushed to the door and open it as fast as I can."Welcome home papa!I m-" to my surprise it wasn't papa it someone else.It was a big man twice the size of papa."Good evening,You must be Alfred's son Gilbert, am I correct?"I couldn't help but notice his sad expression,I wonder what happened."Max?is that you where's my husband?" My mother asks behind me worried."that's exactly why I'm here miss..."The man looks down on the floor and looks at me"can I have a word with you?"I knew this was serious "ofcourse please come in".Mother gestures for the living room and asks me to go to my room.I wonder what happened to papa.

-----------
It's been a while,and my curiosity is overwhelming me....I'll go check on mama.

I went down stairs and I hear the door close.The man must've left...And mama was there she was crying and moments later she was on her knees I rushed to her worried"mama what happened?".She hugs me right and tells me something that brings me to tears..."Your papa won't be with us anymore dear I'm so sorry"
Did papa leave us?why?I don't understand.
--------------
Weeks later Mama's spirit was crushed and her health was failing her...and everyday she gets worse.She became more and more sick,She wont eat and she couldn't sleep.I was worried.All mama did was look out the window and cry,she missed papa...I do too.I wasn't sure what happened to papa, mama won't tell me ,and she'd get angry if I ever brought up papa.Thousands of questions would flood my mind something I'd think ,did he leave us?or most of all the one question that I would ask myself again and again Is he dead? That question would haunt me most of all.And I'd like it to stay a mystery. Because the truth is more painful than life.

------------
Years have passed and sadly my mother was still sicker than ever.She can barely stand and stays in bed all day.

My aunt would send me money often to continue school.She asked me once if I'd like to stay with her and my cousins,but I refused I don't want to leave mama in her state.I also work every weekend,I'm still young but I need the money to maintain  our home  and for mama to survive.

I just came home from school,and I'm just going to see how she's doing in her room.And she was just sitting there staring out the window as always...

"Gilbert?is that you?"she didn't look at me she just focused on the blue sky."Yes mama it's me"She's gotten old,there were wrinkles on her face and she's thinner,malnourished...Her ribs could be seen and her arms were like sticks."Gilbert come here,let me tell you something"I sit beside her and she holds my hand..."Remember the man that came to our house before?"she asks."yes mama,I recall his name was Max"she looks at me with teary eyes "Gilbert it's time you know the truth ... Max came here to tell us that...your father is dead"The moment my mother said those words,my heart broke.I was right all along...he was dead.I broke to tears and the two of us cried in each others arms."But he's alive however he's not here in the mortal world, he's somewhere else".Now I was confused he's alive but not in the mortal world."mama are talking about the land of the dead?"she gave me smile and looked outside again..."no son,he's somewhere close to the north star...or may be somewhere else where he would be punished for his sins..."punishment?father didn't do anything wrong,did he?he was the kindest and sweetest person I know...."what do you mean mother ?I'm confused "again her sad expression came back "son when I'm de-"I stopped her I didn't want to hear that word,never."Mama stop,you will live and I'll-" "Gilbert"
She sighs and kisses my forehead "I want you to know that mama loves you very much,now listen well"I love mama I really do I'd do anything for her "As I said When I die,..."

830 words....woahh

Hey there sorry about that short story but It will all be worth it soon this sad tough I will try to update very often I will try but there's still school 😫😞