And Here We Are Again

Q couldn't believe his eyes when one day out of blue his cell phone signaled the arrival of a message on one of his fake e-mail addresses. It wouldn't have been such a surprise of course (he owned at least four-five different ones at all times), had it not been the one he had only used with Annabel, with whom he hadn't been in contact since she had broken up with him over a new boyfriend... Well, except for a short greeting for Christmas. But it didn't count, right?

He had a funny feeling – curiosity mixed with dread – when he opened the e-mail to see if it was true or only his imagination was playing a cruel game with him. He immediately found it was indeed from Annabel. He began to read:

To: Daniel Coulter

From: Annabel Worthington

Hi, Danny, I just... well... I was wondering... How are you? Do you hate me?

Hate??? He wouldn't be able to hate Annabel even if she had been the one to explode his flat!

To: Annabel Worthington

From: Daniel Coulter

Hi, Annabel. Of course I don't hate you. Why should I? And I'm fine, thanks. Lots of work... Like always. And you?

Her reply came soon after.

To: Daniel Coulter

From: Annabel Worthington

Oh, thank you for answering! I was honestly not sure you would... I mean, you answered to my Christmas greetings but only to wish the same... Well. And I'm glad you're all right. I'm fine as well. I was just thinking about going to visit Oxford soon. You know I have to apply for university soon this year and I'd like to see my options first. My mom and dad won't be able to take me though, because they won't get a vacation for that... But they have agreed to let me skip school for a few days in order to go there. Well... I'll go alone then. It's not a big deal. I mean, next year I might live there, don't I? It's time I become I bit more independent. Right? Well. That means I'll probably be in London for a short while soon. If you'd like to meet... Well... I'd like to, obviously, but you don't have to if you don't want to... Or if you're too busy. I'd understand...

To: Annabel Worthington

From: Daniel Coulter

Of course I'd like to meet you when you'll be here, don't be silly. I'm not angry at you for anything. But Oxford is not exactly near London, you do know that, right? How do you want to travel there and where would you stay while you're here?

To: Daniel Coulter

From: Annabel Worthington

To tell you the truth, I haven't thought this far ahead yet... I believe there are options to reach Oxford from London with public transportation, aren't there? And I think I'd have to get a hotel room or something. I'll start organizing it soon. I'm sure my family will help.

To: Annabel Worthington

From: Daniel Coulter

Yes, of course, there are trains from Paddington and Marylebone and busses as well. But it takes a while. 1-1,5 hours in average. And you could come to stay in my apartment. Don't think of anything bad! I'd be out more than not; you'd mostly have the whole place to yourself. And I have a guest bedroom with an en suite bathroom so I wouldn't bother you at all. It's safer and more convenient than a hotel. Not to mention cheaper: it wouldn't cost you anything at all.

Q held his breath, trying to decide whether he should send the message or not. Was it too much? Would she think he was trying to flirt with her again? But it was too late now, his hand – as if moving on its own accord – pressed the 'send' button and then it was already done. Too late to take it back now.