[1] Till Death Do Us Part

Where was that asshole?

The night had started off strong for Angie. She had finished up her shift at the restaurant with a pretty decent tip-out, and cleanup had been relatively quick and easy. It was only quarter after eleven when the last table had been reset for lunch service the next day, so Stephanie had suggested they all go to The Olde Triangle for some drinks. Angie had fired a quick text off to Donna to let her know she might be late coming home, but she didn't expect a reply. It was Thursday, her poker night, so she assumed she was probably out with the boys and wouldn't even check her phone. Angie'd likely be back at the apartment before her, in any case. 

The four girls wrapped themselves up in scarves and thick winter jackets and headed out into the snowy November night. The old city was beautiful under dim streetlights, and Angie hardly felt the chill as she walked arm-in-arm with Cate, her best friend and fellow waitress at the Bloomin' Onion. Their destination was just a few blocks away, and everything felt right.

The bar was busy as they entered, Thursday nights being a popular night for the students to head out on the town, but the four friends found seats at the bar. After dusting the snow of the tops of their heads and hanging up their jackets, they decided to split a couple pitchers of the house brew, while Steph ordered her signature glass of red wine. The bar was toasty, likely warmed naturally by all the bodies excitedly gesticulating above collections of empty pint glasses. The girls soon found themselves swept up in the jovial atmosphere, gossiping over the various parties they had waited on that evening.

"And I swear, he was down there for a while," Diana said with a heavy eyebrow raise. Angie let out a snort while Cate rolled her eyes. 

"There is no way you had the time to watch one man who dropped his cutlery while waiting on your other six tables," Cate argued. That was Cate for you, she didn't care for embellishing stories if they weren't true. For someone like Cate though, who had spent her whole life moving around as a navy brat, there were plenty of unbelievable true stories to go around. 

"I swear I saw the table skirt move. I had to pass by like, four times, and he still wasn't up." Diana was getting slightly tipsy, and nearly knocked their pitcher off the bar as she wagged her finger suggestively. The passing bartender shot them a look of contempt which Stephanie returned with an apologetic smile. Steph wasn't much of a beer drinker, but she enjoyed a few glasses of wine here and there. She was a real savant for the stuff, and liked to savour the taste, meaning the other three were usually long drunk on their cheap beer before she even felt a buzz. 

"What about your single, Ang?" Diana raised a beer in Angie's direction. "He was H-O-T hot! With that ponytail, mmmm..." Diana made a very unbecoming face as she let out a mock moan, causing the other girls to giggle and cover their mouths. It wasn't common to see a young man dining alone, and the girls often fought for the opportunity to wait on them. It wasn't Angie's cup of tea, really. 

"He was nice, didn't say much. Ordered the seafood chowder and tipped five bucks," Angie shrugged, knowing they were hoping for more. Diana groaned loudly.

"I can't believe Tom sat him in your section. That's like, a cruel joke". Diana pouted dramatically until Steph shot her a look.

"Just because Angie's gay doesn't mean she shouldn't be allowed to wait on single men, Di." 

"Well obviously Steph, I was just saying, he was yummy." Cate and Angie shared a contemptuous look as Diana's eyes glazed over once again. Angie took a deep swig of her beer, and set it down on the countertop.

"Speaking of, where is Donna tonight, Ang? Did you invite her to come?" Angie knew Cate was just being nice, none of her friends from the restaurant really got along with Donna. She was an... acquired taste. Angie liked to say she was posh, but pretentious was probably the better word. Likewise, Donna's friends consisted of a group of preppy frat boys whose hobbies included golfing and making politically incorrect jokes. Even Diana wasn't a fan of them, and she once made out with a republican senator's son.