Prologue~The Dream

"Go,Mush,Mush!" blared the loud voice on the Television Set. Violet was just begining to watch her brand new DVD on dog sled racing.  Wow! Someday, I am going to be the fastest dog sled Musher ever! She thought dreamily. She loved dog sled racing ever since she was born. The first time that she went to race, was the one of the best days in her life! She always got subscriptions to the "ONAC" magazine. Every month she would get one in her mailbox, she had it read by the time supper was ready!

Balto lay his gentle head down on Violets bear leg. Balto was turning 12 this year. Violet relized that he probilly lost his strenth to race by now. Even though his age limited him, he was still the same old dog they brought home when Violet was just two-years-old. Violet popped open a can of "Gravy Train" wet dog food and spooned some into Balto's green dog bowl. Violet went to pour some lemonade into a glass when she heard something that had caught her attention on the TV, "Come on down folks to the Grand Opening of the 406th Iritarod in a row! Just call the number below if interested! If you are one of the first ten callers, you will recive a FREE T-Shirt with our logo on the front pocket, AND a FREE dog-shaped coffee mug! Don't forget your dog!"

"What an opportunity, being a musher and all, I could do that if Balto wasn't so old." she wished. "Oh I'm sorry boy, for saying your to old to race. Mabye you can do it, mabye you CAN race!". Violet let out a screech of joy as she punched in the numbers that had just vanished from the TV set. "406th Iditarod Center. How may I assist you?" the raspy voice echoing from the phone asked. "Hello! My name is Violet May Starr, and I am calling you to sign up for the Iditarod race. I have my very own dog and all the equipment that I will be needing for the race. I even-" The raspy lady on the telephone cut her off. "Well let me just stop you right there honey. I will sign you up right away, since it sounds like you are on the edge of your seat about this. I will just need you to stop by our office on Maple Mountin Avenue this evening. Does that work for you?""Sure does! Thank you sooo much!"

"Daddy! Daddy, guess what?!"