Detective Cooper (1)

"Detective Cooper," My last name echoed throughout the room of tall intimidating men.

"Ah, yes?" I anxiously swallowed my tongue, the men, nearly all, glancing over at me as if they could all hear the click of my throat.

"You have been assigned a job in England which you cannot afford to decline," I knew this. It was hard not to considering I've been preparing for it for the past three months. I was the only one in my field that was trained to do it.

"Yes, sir," The job should be simple. I'm going to England as a secret detective to investigate a guy that we think is the main suspect of murders throughout the north. This guy hasn't killed in England. Yet. But I'm sure he will and when he does, I will catch him. To put it short, I'm going undercover.

"Cooper, I'm going to lay this on you short and simple," I gulped.

"If you are to let anyone know you're a detective, and especially from our station, you'll be fired," I was aware of this as well. We're not even supposed to be on this case. If we keep doing this, somebody's going to be fired. My god, I'm beginning to think they only prepared me for this specific investigation because I came from England seven years ago. I feel like they're sending me to my death.

"Cooper??"

"Yes?"

"Good luck. Your train leaves at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Get home and get some sleep," He clapped his hands, signaling us all that the meeting was over. One by one, people began to leave the office. It was late, they were all probably eager to get home to their families. Heading home was actually a great idea. I still had more packing to do and a dog to get home to.

By the time I left, there were only a few people still in their seats. I guessed for an after meeting. There was also a giant mess on the table. Coffee spills, crumpled papers. Nobody cleans up after themselves in this dump. I felt bad for the janitor.

My drives home were never anything special. My apartment wasn't even that far from our department. Maybe 15 blocks? It would usually take me 10 minutes to drive there but this city was so crowded on Fridays. 20 minutes later, I arrived at my apartment and pulled into the underground parking lot. Empty as always. I grinned and parked the closest to the elevator. Not a lot of folk lived here. And if they did, they walked to and from work. I got out of my car and locked the doors before heading towards the machine.

With a click of a button, the elevator started creaking and pulling in strange ways. I wouldn't say that was unusual for it. It was old but I'm sure people check on it every once in a while. I hope they do that is. I waited near the doors and when it opened nobody was on it. Good. Stepping onto it made me wanna vomit. Better than taking the stairs. There was always this really nasty smell when I took the stairs. I Just couldn't handle it anymore. I pushed number 2 and waited patiently for it to come to a full stop, and when it did I walked out of it quickly. I really needed to move soon. Maybe if I like England, I'll stay there.

Wiping off the sweat from my forehead, I walked to my apartment door and grabbed my keys to unlock it. My dog was probably going crazy right about now. When I opened the door, Dew was wagging her tail playfully. She looked like she was holding in a big bark.

"Hi Dew!!" Her face lit up with excitement. I could never get tired of this lil black pug.

"Beep beep​ beep!" She started jumping backwards to my car noise. Dang, she was good. She was a detective's dog after all. An incredibly smart doggo. I closed the door behind me and placed my keys on my kitchen counter.

"Ready for the BIG trip tomorrow??" She barked.

"Shh! Not too loud, now." I smiled and she wiggled her body, her paws clacking against the hard wood floor. Pugs certainly are the best.

"Alright, girl! Let's go pack!!" Tomorrow was going to be rather fun. No detective work yet, I'd imagine. Just getting settled in. It was already 7pm so we'd have to pack quickly. The sooner we get done the sooner I could sleep. I patted Dew on the head before walking towards my room. Tonight was going to be a long night.