Untitled Part 1

I remember the first time it happened, vividly. The memory is always present in the back of my mind, kind of like peanut butter and jelly. Only this experience was less delicious and more terrifying. That's only to be expected of course, because when you're fourteen years old and demonic spirits attach themselves to you... well food is usually the last thing on your mind at that point. At least in my experience, I was too busy having a panic attack in the middle of my freshmen English class to think about much else.

There was no warning, nothing to indicate what was happening or why. I felt no different than any other day, simply going about my business doodling on my notes. I was sitting next to the window nonchalantly sipping on some orange juice, in a daze that every English student experiences daily. I decide to take in the view of the parking lot that the window provides. No sooner had my eyes come to rest on empty space, that I found my gaze blocked by a massive figure appearing directly outside the window; only a few feet from my face.

Now I know what you're probably thinking; its just another student or the janitor, I freaked out a little and then laughed and moved on with my life. Well, no. This was not human by any means. The creature was easily eight feet tall and had a human-like figure. It's entire body was ashen gray, the color only interrupted by small, random columns of fire erupting from its skin. It wore armor that was torn and tattered, as if from centuries of wear and neglect. The armor hung off the creatures thin, gaunt frame. Its eyes were barely visible through its scratched and dented helmet. They appeared human, but were glossed over and a light, faded brown color. Its mouth hung open slightly, revealing cracked and crooked teeth, some of which were missing entirely.

It was a truly terrifying sight, and certainly not a common one. Demons don't usually just appear to freshmen living in Prossen, Arizona. Seeing as how I thought demons were just a creature of myth up until that day I reacted as you might expect; I jumped sideways out of my chair and on to the floor.

Instantly twenty heads turned in my direction and my teacher, Mr. Burns, stopped talking. Everyone was looking for an explanation as to why I was now lying on the floor in a fit of terror. There were a few snickers from one side of the room, but mostly concerned looks came from my classmates. Then for a minute it was quiet, until the student next to me, Brandon, spoke up.

"Connor are you okay?" he said, looking down at me curiously. I looked at him, wide eyes and afraid, and then at the creature, and then back again.

"You people don't see that?" I said with fear, slowly getting to my feet. I looked around noticing that everyone was staring at me like I was crazy. "None of you can see that?"

"Mr. Kershaw there's nothing there, what exactly is your reason for disrupting my class?" said Mr. Burns, seeming unsure if he should be concerned or irritated.

"My reason? The thing! That thing! In the window, right there! That's my reason! You can't seriously expect me to believe that none of you see it." I turned around to face the window only to find that the figure was inside the classroom, and its massive decrepit breastplate was but six inches from my face. My eyes began to water as its odor hit me, it smelled of some combination of smoke and something rotting. 

For the second, but not final, time that day I executed the smoothest, most heroic reaction possible. I stepped back, and fell to the floor in fear. Warily I looked up at the creature, vaguely aware of Mr. Burns saying something behind me; but I was too distracted to hear it. I met its gaze and was instantly transfixed, its pale brown eyes absorbing my focus. Images flashed across my mind seemingly out of nowhere, images of fire, pain, and suffering. The longer I stared the faster the images came and the more real they seemed.

I could see the classroom around me start to flicker and fall away, slowing being replaced by what appeared to be a night sky, but instead of stars and celestial bodies there were endless columns of smoke with brief glimpses of utter blackness slipping through. Surrounding me were dozens of creatures like the one that stood before me. I began to feel myself lose consciousness, slowly slipping away from reality.

Instead of succumbing to darkness, I grasped on to reality as best as I could and kicked out with both feet in a desperate attempt to get away. Keeping my eyes closed I kept sliding farther and father away, and the farther away I got the more awake I began to feel and the more the room steadied. Slowly that other world began to fade away, back to the boring walls of the classroom. After a couple of seconds I felt my back slam into something solid, as I slowly opened my eyes I saw the startled and confused gazes of my classmates looking down on me. There was no ash, bones, or fire to be found.

Everything was fuzzy, my breaths were short and raspy. I looked around at the people surrounding me, Mr. Burns was crouched next to me attempting to say something but my ears were ringing too loudly for me to make it out. My heart felt as though it was going to burst out of my chest, sweat was streaming down my face. Everything I had just see was stuck in my head, not overpowering like it was before but I couldn't forget it by any means.

"Connor can you hear me? Connor?" the voice of Mr. Burns began to slip through the confusion.

I looked at him, still trying to collect myself. "What was that? Whats happening? And what the hell did you guys put in my orange juice?" As I spoke the ringing in my ears subsided a little more.

"Connor I need you to to breathe deeply for me. Help is coming okay? Just stay calm." said Mr. Burns, clearly trying to keep calm himself.

"Help? Help for what? I don't need help, I need to know what the hell is going on! I need to know what that thing was!" Feeling shaky and confused I slowly got to my feet. As I stood I felt something trickle down the sides of my head. I touched my ear cautiously, and my fingers came away red. "What's happening to me?" I felt my heart rate begin to climb and my breathing escalate again.

"Connor take a seat for me and try to calm down okay?" as he said this I heard a door open and close. I start to slowly shuffle my way towards the sound, blinking back tears of pain and fighting through the worst headache I'd ever experienced.

Alrighty thats as far as I've gotten thus far, please do read and tell me what you think either by messaging me or writing it in the comments! What can I do better on what would you like to see happen what did you think so far what did you like/dislike? Any and all feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks again all