The Concert

He approached the stage, the light produced by the stage lights overhead gleamed off of the silver keys of his black-bodied bass clarinet. His palms sweat the slightest bit, warming the instrument as he waited his cue to take this stage with his fellow band mates.

The band watched as the stage lights focused on on the conductor. He'd entered the stage from the back and the audience gave him a warm welcome. With a quick introduction, he gave a bow and that was the cue.

One after another, the prideful band took the stage. Their tuxes sharp and their dresses elegant. They snaked their way into the rows of chair and stands. Each day down after the previous, creating a wave-like effect that wowed the audience. The show hadn't begun yet, and the audience was already very pleased with their performance.

The audience fell silently as the conductor gave them a smile and turned to face the band. He raised his arms, baton in hand, and the students raised their instruments, simultaneously. The conductor gave a prep, to set the tempo, and the song began. He sliced the air with his baton.

The song began. A fast, but not rushed, tempo led the students. The dynamic was forte.

The song began with a grand intro. Built from the bottom, the low brass and low reeds played the foundation: a powerful, driving part. Next, the mid to high brass and saxophone section. They played the melody: staccato notes and inspiring rhythms to give the song life. Lastly, the higher woodwinds. The clarinet section accompanied the flutes and piccolos with graceful notes that sat atop the rest of the band. High-pitched runs occurred frequently in their score.

After their grand intro, the sound switched. The middle group sat out and the rest continued to play. The low brass and reeds played a supportive, soothing tone and held it while the higher instruments played slurred melodies. Each note was long and smoothly connected. This established their new melody for the section.

The middle section concluded with a grand and unexpected crescendo, growing broader into the final stretch of the song. The mid to high brass and saxophone accompaniment joined the group once more and filled the void between the highs and lows.

The percussion grew loud and assumed the position of the bands power. The lower instruments joined in, leading the slow in pace. The song grew broader, even more so than before, and the conductor held his baton high in the air, signaling the band to hold their final chord. The band held the note as the percussion section went nuts on their drums. Anticipation filled the room. Chills ran down the spines of everyone in the audience from the musical perfection of this chord.

The conductor dropped his arms and the band released the note at once. The note rang through the concert hall like the voice of an angel. The band lowered their instruments, coordinating with the conductors hands.

The audience rushed to their feet. The applause was deafening. The audience roared. The band was filled with warm sensations of appreciation and relief. They'd done well.

Each band member searched the audience for the astonished faces of their friends and relatives.

The conductor turned to the audience. "Thank you! Thank you and have a wonderful evening!" He thanked, but he was easily drowned by the sea of awestruck band families.

The band was dismissed and they returned they way they'd entered. The conductor trailed closely behind.