Smaller Shoes

January, one of the coldest months of the year has arrived. The cold months never seemed to faze you, though. There was something about the way the snowflakes would slowly fall against the ground, silently freezing and enveloping the world in a cold winter. It was a beautiful, yet silent killer. Or at least that's how you looked at it. You had just transferred to a school in Japan as a foreign exchange student. You could barely utter a grammarly correct sentence in Japanese but somehow fate took you to Japan. You guess all the good grades must have payed off well, and they surely did.

Today is your first day in the school. You sat on the new mattress in your room and stared out the window, leaning your head against it. Watching the snow fall was relaxing, relieving. It was almost like you were still home. Not in some unknown widowed woman's house. It's not that you had anything against her, no. In fact, she was very nice, although very quiet. She didn't seem to care much. Actually, you and her were quite similar. Quiet, but not shy and maybe just a bit careless. The neighborhood wasn't so bad. Hardly any cars passed by. You've only seen one since the day you arrived. Maybe one or two people on top of that. But that was all. The houses just seemed to be, empty. They weren't bad or anything. They were big, maybe even a little luxurious. You thought maybe that was why hardly anyone was there. Maybe no one could afford it. A sudden thought that something terrible may have happened in this neighborhood crossed your mind. But then you just seemed to laugh it off, these people must be harmless, or so you thought.

You smacked yourself on the cheek lightly. You were carried away, and it was time to head to school. You tidied up your uniform, grabbed your bag, and trotted down the wooden staircase. Hina, the widowed owner of the house didn't seem to be up this morning so you didn't bother to say goodbye. Like you even knew how to. You quickly slipped on the shoes that were a bit large on your feet and headed to school.

The entrance ceremony seemed to go by quick, it wasn't too bad. It had just ended and you needed to head to your first class. You wandered to find the class labeled 'Debate' but couldn't seem to find it. You weren't sure who to ask, so you didn't bother. You are very independent, after all. At least, you try to be. Before you knew it the bell rang. Anxiety began to creep up on you like a snake wrapping around it's prey, squeezing the life out of them.

Suddenly, a tall man walked out of a classroom nearby, heading your direction. He made eye contact. 'Oh no...' You thought to yourself. He looked to be some type of stuck up rich kid, snobby.

"You're (name) right? It's a pleasure to meet you. Would you, perhapse like for me to show you around?" The man standing before you said.

"Uh-Uh... No, I'm alright. It's nice to meet you too. Thank you for the offer though!" You said awkwardly before turning on your heel swiftly and marching off in a random direction.

"So you have PE! So do I." He said as he caught up to you and walked alongside you.

"Ah!!" You began to fall, tripping over yourself. 'I should have gotten a smaller size shoes...'

Swiftly, the tall man leaned over and pulled you into his arms. Your body was leaning into his and he held you tight with his strong arms. You stared into his hollow looking eyes, your eyes opened wide from the sudden events. You shook your head quickly and regained posture.

"Th-thank you..! Sorry, excuse me... PE? No, I don't have PE." You said, now looking down to hide your red cheeks.

He smiled creepily. "You were walking towards the gymnasium though." He held out his arm, pointing at the gym.

"Well... I have debate but I don't really know how to get there." You slumped your head down.

"Where are my manners! My name is Sangwoo." Sangwoo frowned.

"Follow me, the debate room is upstairs." He said, turning around and walking upstairs.

You followed after him quickly, pulling your bag up over your shoulder.

"Your English is excellent," you said, smiling warmly.

"Why thank you!" Sangwoo replied.

He walked over to a class and opened the door. Everyone shouted, 'Sangwoo!'

'I knew it, he's popular.' You thought to yourself.

"Please excuse (name), she's new and couldn't find the class, she's with me." Sangwoo said after greeting the teacher and bowing.

The teacher smiled. "That will be fine. (name) please come introduce yourself."

You looked at Sangwoo anxiously and he gave you a smile. You blushed. You couldn't help but admire his looks, his smile was so attractive. His body. Everything about him gleamed. 'What am I thinking..' Who knows how long you stared at him.

"Thank you, Sangwoo!" You said. You then bowed and walked into class.

School ran smoothly today, you even got to make a few friends. Maybe even Sangwoo, was one of them. The school seemed cozy, and adjusting wasn't so bad since everyone was pretty good at speaking English. School ended and you went to your locker only to see Sangwoo leaning against a locker across from it.

"Sangwoo! Thank you for earlier, I appreciated your help. I'm sorry for taking up so much of your time. Er- Gomen-Nasai." You bowed your head lightly before opening your locker.

He smiled and simply held up a pair of school shoes. "I think these would be a better fit. Allow me." He said before kneeling down in front of you.

You stared-

He stared, waiting for you to hold out one of your feet.

You blushed and lifted one of your feet and the shoe practically slipped off by itself.

He put the shoe on your foot. "How is it?" He asked.

"Perfect. Thank you.. You didn't have to do this!" You blushed.

"Is it that you wanted me to catch you every time you tripped?" Sangwoo chuckled, teasing you.

"Maybe so!" You shook your head.