Chapter One: Unguaranteed Love

"When will you let me love you the way I want to?" David whispered into my ear.

Sweet nothings. No more, no less. I was used to David having a few too many and confessing his undying love to me. We both knew that we were nothing more than friends and his parents wouldn't approve of our possible relationship.

"Nice try!" I reply sarcastically, "you should drink some water. Your head will thank you in the morning."
"No, no. I mean it. I do, really. You have to trust me." David learned forward and placed his bottle of beer on the coffee table in front of us.

"Keep going then... how many kids should we have? What's the budget for the wedding?" I joked. I liked to wind David up. It was easily done and I knew he wouldn't take too much offence to my dead-pan tone.

"We might as well buy a house together tomorrow. Oh, and we should buy a dog soon after." He replied. I could see that there was the faintest glimpse of hope in his eyes.

David and I met when we were young; about 5 or 6 years old. We had known each other only a little. There's a way of knowing someone without knowing them: you know their true smile but their favourite colour isn't in your knowledge. You know them through their sense of being, but not through their favourite food. That's the kind of friendship that David and I had. It wasn't close but there was comfort between us.

"I'm off to bed, make sure to get some sleep. If you need me, you know where I am." I said as I stood up from the couch and adjusted my dress.

"Alright, love. Night." David said as he reached out for my hand. His hands were so gentle, his fingertips only just touched the palm of my hand. His eyes were slightly glazed over. David could never handle his drink.

I made it to the bedroom door before my lips began to tremble. I made it underneath my covers before all of David's glances over at me and his smiles made it into my head. All of the girls he had loved made a stab into my heart and the worst thing of all, all of his words to me broke my heart in two.