The Girl Who Has His Heart - One

Chapter One - The Cruel Game of Fate

“Did you see that?! Carter just smiled at me!” A girl squealed.

The similar commotion that is created when Carter passes by the class was there. But this time, things were even more annoying. Carter and I are in same class this year. That means I have to see this commotion most of the time.

I am Leah Wills. Your normal high 0pschool girl. I’m in junior year. Most of the times I don’t take any interest in boys but Carter is a different case.

He transferred to our school in the middle of sophomore year. The new transfer student was really handsome. He had those cute looks, perfectly styled brown hair and silvery gray eyes. The boy was simply an Adonis. The reason that I’m talking about all this in past tense because he was that perfect. And I have to admit it. The moment I looked at his handsome face, it was like love at first sight.

It’s very rare that I find a boy handsome. So when he entered the school, I was completely smitten. I saw him on his first day by his locker standing alone. But we were in different classes so we didn’t get any chance to talk. Besides, I had no courage to talk to him. He was like my Prince Charming.

But only a week later, the rumors started circulating in the school that he was dating a girl. My little crush was crushed.

And a week later, there was a new rumor that he had another girlfriend. Then another and then another. Week after week there were stories of his new girlfriends. In the end, none of them was his girlfriend. They were his play-toys and he was a playboy.

Playboy is a certain species that I hate the most. It was a big blow to my pride that I had a crush on a playboy. They are the vilest creatures on this earth. They go around breaking hearts of innocent girls. I was really angry at myself for ever feeling attracted to him. So I decided to crush my little crush myself. And I was successful.

But this year, we both landed in the same class. I bet he doesn’t even know about me. I’m just plain Jane who has only two friends. Those two friends are best friends and I’m just a third wheel they feel pity for. I’ve never been good with making friends. My previous friend was in middle school. We had been friends since elementary school but then she had to leave the town because of her father’s job. After Zoe left, I never made any real friend. Take a look at this Zoe, I’m extremely faithful to you.

Two years of high school passed without me making any friends. I talk to most of the students and I’m at good terms with them but there is no one particular I can call my friend. I guess I will be friendless in my high school life. I’ve not a met a single person who is in as same wavelength as me in this school. This kind of sucks. No best friend. But it’s still better than being with someone incompatible.

I’m better being alone than with someone.

All the students take their assigned seats. I’m not so lucky this year. For past two years, I’ve always got the window seat. But this year I’m in the seventh desk of second row. That’s fine too, as long as I don’t get disturbed while studying. Still I looked at the empty chair at my side longingly. The window seat. So close yet so far. I wish it was mine.

I was resting my chin on my hands when I noticed the playboy walking towards his seat. Looks like we were going to be neighbors. He kept walking and stopped just beside me. For a moment, my mind went completely blank.

Why did he stop? Stupid crush! Don’t start it again. I’m over him. I’m over him.

He turned his back at me and sat on the seat I was staring at not so long ago. The seat I wanted… was his. This is a cruel game of fate.