1

KARMA

Monday.

Dear mom and dad,
This morning I woke up late again, at half eight.

That isn't the unusual event though.

After getting up and ready I grabbed my strawberry milk and left the house.

Still normal routine.

The weird thing happened when I walked up to E class: I heard a small rustle on the path and quick, light footsteps way ahead of me running to class. I didn't bother to glance up, too focused on the path under my own feet.

My shoelace was undone.

You two would probably know how much I hate shoelaces if you ever bothered to be at home but whatever, I had to stop to struggle with them on the nearby bench. A few minutes and cursing later, I had a messy knot tied on the shoes. When I was about to get up I noticed a lunchbox next to me.

As I write this it's sat on my desk next to me, it's a plastic rectangle with a traditional lunch, all wrapped in a thin blue blanket. I would say it looks like a girls but I knew that anyway.

Sat on the bench, I was curious. Briefly forgetting the passing time a chose to open it. The sweet smell of homemade rice and tempura wafted from it as I took in the childish meal. I dropped the blue cover next to it on the bench and I little slip of paper fell out.

I'm holding it in my hand now, il copy it out for you;

"Darling,
I'm sorry about last night, I hope that as a thoughtful girl you understand that it was just a stressful moment when you asked me and I didn't mean to act so rash.
I love you lots sweetheart, come home straight away and we can have a nice meal out, I brought you a lovely outfit to make up to you.
Enjoy lunch,
Mom. "

Don't think for a second that I just went and stole this box, you don't know me too well but I wouldn't do that- I left it. I put it back as it was and walked up to class. The day went on as usual and I had honestly forgotten about the box. Lunchtime came and went so I assumed someone noticed it was missing and went back to find it.

However last lesson was PE so as usual I left the building and started walking home.

I don't know why I did it, but I spared a small glance at the bench and stopped. It was still there. But someone had knocked it carelessly to the floor.

That's how it came into my possession. I picked it up. And I carried it home. Even used it to knock out a thugs tooth (so there's a little bloodstain on the corner but I'm sure this girl won't mind).

Mom? Dad? What should I do with it? Can I eat it? It looks really good. Can I return it? I don't know who's it is.

I don't understand why I write my journal to you two but I guess it just makes me feel like a child again, you don't respond to my texts and the calls are less than a minute long. I understand you're having fun, but this box looks important. It's lined with age, the cloth is expensive, the food took time and effort. The note took time to write and was pretty heartfelt.

Anyway, besides this mysterious, unclaimed box, my day was good, lessons were fine. How are you two? You won't ever read this (I chuckled out loud at the very thought) but I wish you would call sometimes. Don't worry- I'm not sad that you're away, you're having fun and I'm independent enough- but hey- when you get back I think il make you food. We can eat together instead of out. You can tell me about your travels and il tell you how I did in my exams. How does that sound?