Prologue

Lindsey's P.O.V-

IT'S pouring outside. I look out my window and counted every time a raindrop slides down the glass. I was at thirty-five drops when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

  "Come in!" I yelled, jumping on my bed.

   My mom came into the room. "Didn't I tell you to pick up all these clothes?" She said. I rolled my eyes. She didn't notice.

    "Anyway, Lindsey please pick up these clothes and put them in your hamper and meet me downstairs for breakfast." Then she walked out of the room and shut the door. I sat up and pulled a hat over my messy brown hair.

     I picked up the few clothes on the floor and threw them in the hamper. I hesitated before opening the door. I hated family time because it reminded me that we were missing an important person. My dad. He died about...nine months ago now. It hadn't even been a year. Mom took down everything that was related to him in anyway. Pictures, baseball stuff, etc. she said it hurt to much to see. But, it really feels like we're just trying to forget him.

      I opened the door and made my way towards the kitchen.

      "Hey Linds." My brother said from the table. He was already half way done with breakfast. My brother was 17, almost 18. He'd be going to college next year. Leaving me behind to stay with mom. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, but ever since dad died, she's been different. Less happy all the time.

       I sat down right when mom put my plate on the table.

        "Did you pick up your clothes?" She asked.

        "Yes ma'am." I answered and dug into breakfast, blueberry pancakes with bacon and eggs.

      I ate breakfast super fast and went to rinse my plate. "I gotta go to work you two. Behave. And Danny, if Lindsey goes out with her friends make sure she's home by nine." My mom said, grabbing her purse.

     "Got it. You hear that Linds, you've got a curfew." Danny bragged. I smiled in a I hate you way, but not really.

       As soon as my mom left the house, I headed to the garage for my bike. As I rolled it through the house, My mom would kill me if she knew I was doing that, I stopped.

      "Danny, doesn't that mean you have a curfew too, because you have to be home before I do so you can make sure I'm home on time?" I asked, knowing the answer. As his face went from smiling to the realization I rolled my bike faster out of the house.

         My friends were already waiting for me. "Hey Lindsey!" They all said after one another.

     "Hey guys." And with that we set off to, anywhere really. We just went where the bikes took us.

       I had three best friends, Charlie, Maya, and Terra. They all were tomboys like me and never touched pink, well maybe except for Maya. Although I thought pink was a nice color. I wouldn't tell them that though.

Charlie wore her hair in a plain ponytail. No sparkly rubber bands or bows. She wore pants and flannels usually.

Maya had freckles all over her face and the most blonde hair you've ever seen. She wore her hair in braids with little bows tied to the end. She wore dresses a lot, but on days like these, pouring to no stop. She wore a rain coat and pants.

Then there's Terra. Terra has to deal with abuse at home. We always tell her she can stay with us but she always refuses. Sometimes I can see bruises on her arms or legs. That's why she wears clothes that cover everything.

As we rode our bicycles in the rain, I thought about the night my dad died. He was probably driving in weather just like this, and his car lost control and fell into the river near our small town. Was he scared? Did he scream? Cry? What were his thoughts when he realized those would be his last moments? Knowing he'd never see his family again.

"Hey Lindsey!" I jumped and looked over at Terra. She must've been asking me something.

"Huh?" I said. She shook her head, but repeated what she said.

"Want to go to the cave? To get shelter from the rain?" The cave was at the beach near the far end. We discover the tiny cave shelter about a month ago when we were looking for sea shells.

"Sure." And with that, we now had a destination. And I kept talking to the girls to keep my mind off of my terrible thoughts.

This is the first chapter of our first book. I hope you enjoy. I think I'm going to have it to where, I write a chapter and the Bella writes a chapter.

Thanks for reading.

-80swriter