Days Forgotten

PROLOGUE

I’ve been searching for the shattered remains of myself, trying to find all the little pieces, put my life back together. My world was fragmented, shattered. My life was a lie. Now all I want is the truth. No tricks. No pain. No lies. My mind is swimming with scattered memories of my forgotten life and I need to put them in order before I drown.

I could never remember where I came from, if I had a family, if they were still alive. I wondered if they knew why my life fell apart and why I have become… what I am now, if they even remember me. But I discovered a dark secret that showed me what I’d lost, who I am and things they never thought I’d find out and I’d never hoped to see. A secret so dark my mind locked me away, they locked me away, just so I’d never remember it, never remember myself, never remember what they made me do, who they forced me to become.

But now all I want is revenge. Revenge on all those who wronged me, caused me this pain, and forced me to become this monster, this freak. But they’ll soon realise how wrong they were to lock me away, how pointless it really was because the cost of their misdeed, this torture, this curse will be their lives as I exact my revenge. They’ll know the extent of the pain they have caused me. And just when they are on their knees, when they are begging for the cold embrace of death, just like I had many time for that soft whisper of relief, will I let them die.

But for all this to make sense, we have to go back to the beginning, back to when it all began, back to when I broke, back to when I wanted answers so bad that I’d kill for them, back to when I started to remember who I was by finding out what I’d become...

CHAPTER ONE

I stared at the wall dirty, blood stained wall of my padded cell, listening to the rhythmic beat of the water leaking from the room and hitting the floor. I could hear the mumbling of the night nurses, they were walking down my hall just like every night, always mumbling about something that wasn’t going their way. I watched as they slowly walked by my door, staring at me as they walked by.

"Does that little weirdo ever sleep?" one of them said, quite loudly.

"No, well I don't think so. Nobody has seen her sleep since she got here." the other replied.

"Cora, one of the day nurses, told me that she does sleep, just that 'a girl' watches over her while she does.” There was a pause as they slowed, shuffling past my door in an attempt to sneak a look through the tiny barred slit in the door. “If you ask me, she's just another psychotic bitch.

Their voices faded as they continued down the hall and turned the corner. I smiled, looking at the reflective, steel door. I saw a girl with long, black hair that went all the way to her waist. I saw her sitting on the cold floor, wrapped tightly in a straitjacket, locked away from the outside, her world nothing but four padded walls, the rhythmic dripping of water her only music. I stared at this girl, she stared back, her eyes a hollow blackness. A smiled crept onto her pale face, sending chills down my spine. Her head tilted to the side, looked at me with a mix of amusement and wonder.