Chapter 1

Ella Wood pounded down the streets. Over all her years on the streets of Brooklyn, she'd dealt with vampires, werewolves, and faeries, but never in all of her years had she been chased by a facemelter demon.

Lost in her thoughts, she continued running, right into a wall.

"God dammit!" she shouted. Looking around, she noticed she was in quite the dilemma. The street was a dead end and, other than one apartment building, was empty.

Taking her chances, she dashed for the building. The stairs seemed to crash unnecessarily loud. It was not until too late that she realized the stairs were crashing unnecessarily loud. Dammit, she thought, the stairs were probably enchanted by someone who didn't want her here, most likely another warlock.

The demon had heard the stairs, and was now tramping towards the building. Her only hope now was the possibility that the warlock who enchanted the stairs lived here.

"Eat, Eat!" the demon chanted.

She dashed up the stairs to the final landing and cried out in despair; the demon had caught up with her.
"Eat, eat! Finally, the time has come! You are mine, warlock!"

She started crying, it seemed her time had indeed come.

Then, the seemingly impossible happened. The door behind her opened, and a man with cat's eyes stepped out.

"What's all the ruckus?!" he shouted. "I was sleeping! And Mr. Demon, I know you want to eat me, but that's no reason to be so loud."

Then he finally noticed the girl sobbing on his doorstep.

"Oh, is that what this is about? You want to eat her?" He seemed happy that it was not necessary for him to banish the demon. He started to close the door, "Then she's all yours."

The girl started crying again, and that was when the man noticed something. This girl had a warlock mark. Three, to be exact. Cat ears, tail, and cat eyes. Just like his.

"Never mind, you can't have her," Magnus told the demon. He tried to help other warlocks when he could, especially when they were underage. And she was definitely underage, looking no older than 11 years.

"Eat, eat! Me want warlock!" The demon looked ready to pounce.

"Yes, and I said you can't have the warlock." Magnus was getting annoyed, demons weren't usually this persistent. He pulled the girl to her feet, and steered her gently towards the door. 

Then Alec came up behind him. "What's all the ruckus?" he said between yawns.

"Some demon wants to eat this young warlock," Magnus stated in a pleasant tone of voice. The girl looked up at him with a look in her eyes that said, How can you sound so calm, I was almost killed. Magnus looked down at her with amusement. This was going to be fun.

"Do you want me to kill it?" Alec shattered his thoughts.

"Sure. Go get your gear, and I'll keep annoying this demon." He moved the girl farther behind him as he tried to remember how to banish facemelters.

Then, before Magnus could think of something smart to say, Alec was back with his crossbow. He shot the demon before Magnus had a chance to say a thing.

"I suggest we take the girl inside," Magnus stated as the demon dissolved. "I have a feeling this is going to be a long story."

"It isn't that long!" she protested.

They settled into the living room as Alec made them some tea. After all three of them got comfortable, Magnus said, " I belive we should start with introductions. I am Magnus Bane."

He pointed at Alec. "This is Alec Lightwood. Now, what's your name?" The girl flinched. She was not used to this many people other than her, not after living alone for so many years.

"My name is Ella Wood."

"AND heritage," Magnus added.

The girl sighed, but then continued. "I'm the daughter of Asmodeus."