Raven's Passion Part 4

He would chase after Antelope, hot on the other's heels before someone jumped out at his near-sister.  Their prey sprinted off to another hiding place while a short wrestling match took place.

         Little Sparrow jumped on the back of one of these warriors as Raven wrestled him, drumming on top of the young brave's head and hooking her legs under his armpits.  She succeeded in distracting him, allowing Raven Cloud to twist into a more advantageous position that provided for a quick win.

         Taking off once more, the trio were stopped only moments later when yet another competitor darted out from behind a lodge.  Raven knew this one, Soft Spoken Hawk, a brave roughly his own age that had played well in the little war years ago.  Hawk dived to tackle one of the team, but this time Golden Dawn dodged to the side and leapt on top of her assailant's back.

         Raven called out, “Wrap your arm around his throat... make him go limp!”

         Dawn did so, but Hawk outweighed her by too much.  With little effort, he was able to buck the smaller form of the girl into the air so that she tumbled away.  Her teeth clacked together as she thumped against the nearby lodge.

         Hawk tackled Raven then, whooping as he did so, “I will best you this time!  You have grown weak from your stay in soft clothing and thick boots.”

         Raven had not liked the sound of Dawn's landing, and found it difficult to control his anger.  He knew that it had not been purposeful, but he also felt the familiar devotion to protect his near-sister.  The two young warriors wrestled frightfully.

         Dawn had gotten to her feet, and this time she and Sparrow grabbed hold of Hawk's arms and legs.  Together, all three subdued Hawk, and ran away laughing and whooping.  Raven was glad of his companions' help, as he had been near to punching and kicking his opponent viciously.  He found that the old anger from being an outsider still lived inside.

         At the end of the game, the two young friends wrestled on the ground where they had landed after tumbling together.  Raven had used Sparrow and Dawn to creep around and hunt out their prey, allowing Raven to distract his foe before tackling him.  Antelope fought fiercely, but Raven had learned new techniques for hand-to-hand combat and had always been stronger than his friend.  Eventually, Antelope caught in a chokehold, passed out.

         Being knocked out so only lasted for moments, and soon Raven was helping the other up and all four of the friends were walking back for the visitor's lodge. Behind them, payouts for wagers during the mock-hunt and its final battle traded hands.

         “Do they always grief little sister so?”  Raven addressed none of them in particular, simply voicing his curiosity on the subject aloud.

         Golden Dawn stuck out her tongue, as always very willful, “I am not your little sister, Little Buffalo, do not worry for me.  I take care of myself.” She stiffened her back, “I hold myself up.”

         Raven chuckled, shaking his head at her use of his old name.  He passed into the lodge as he patted the girl on the shoulder, “Alright, alright, it is true that you have grown much since I last saw you.  Go then, and strike fear into their hearts.  Let them know such fierceness as to quiet all such comments.”

         Dawn did not leave at once, though Antelope and Sparrow had departed on the way back.  She drew up to Raven Cloud and hugged him, peering up at his face, “I am fierce, but they will love me, not fear me.  My actions will speak for me.”  She smiled, “But, I am glad to play with you again.  I cherish my young buffalo.”