Revolution with a side of grace # A handmaid's tale

In the van, Offred feels dizzy and frightened. What if this is all a lie? What if Nick and his buddies are really the secret police and not part of the Mayday resistance? Before she can investigate anything, Offred begins to vomit up blood and bile everywhere and passes out.

Offred wakes up from her coma 3 month's later in a Mexican hospital. Out the window, the golden sun is setting in pastel hues over the turquoise sea. The view is almost too beautiful to be believed.Nick is holding her hand. To her far right, a medical chart is on the wall with her forbidden name on it, Gemma Dawes - Anderson. To Gemma's left , her two best friends, Moira and Ofglen (a.k.a. Sasha.) stand next to her in regular clothes. Gemma is in disbelief as she watch the two of them argue about the best way to decorate her hospital room in Star Wars Memorabilia.

'' Is this some kind of freaky ass version of Heaven?'' Gemma cries out in a loud voice.

Nick ,Sasha and Moira all laugh. Gemma sniffs the air again and recognizes one of Nick's wicked farts coupled with that distinct hospital smell.

''The dastardly commander and his evil wife ,Serena Joy poisoned you, because they couldn't control or crush you. Luckily, Nick noticed the signs , and we were able to get you to safety before it was too late,'' says Sasha.

'' What happened to bring all of this freedom about? '' says Gemma.

'' The commander went drunk with power, issued an edict that mandated all lower class girls under the age of 10 become handmaids to increase fertility. Every class of woman and man, went berserk and began violently pushing out the ruling class with a vengeance.The elite also had to redistribute all the money they took back to the people, Moira said, with a smirk.

''If you don't believe us, let us show you. Nick said, turning on the tv.

One of the heroes of the revolution, being interviewed was Jeanine, the mousiest of all the handmaids. She captured the commander , and several of his most notorious henchmen and delivered them to the new government to face treason charges . Jeanine has been awarded, 1 million dollars and plans to use the funds to aid unbabies and shredders .

'' Hey,Gemma. When you get released from the hospital. Your mom wants to know what you want to do first?'' Nick says.

'' My.Mom.Is.Still.Alive? '' Gemma is choking on the words.

''Yeah, she somehow was able to masquerade under a different name as a Martha before she started helping Mayday with our revolution plan. She is looking for your daughter , Chloe as we speak," Nick says.

''I want to dye my hair purple again  and put my nose ring back in, says Gemma. Then, I want to cook you all a Thanksgiving picnic on the beach.Because boy, do I have a lot to be Thankful for!'' Gemma says.